Like Tree8Likes

Home Schooling in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Homeschooling across the border or in Taiwan, no grey area.

Quote Originally Posted by globetrotterjk:
    Yes, Homeschooling is STILL illegal in HK. Locals can't. However, the EDB turns a blind eye to expats because expats cant enroll their kids in local schools. That's right.
    Crap. It is not illegal and the EDB does not turn a blind eye to anybody. In fact, the EDB actively runs compulsory examinations in HK each year for kids that are home schooled and monitors them to ensure they are being taught correctly and to a certain standard. As a teacher, I would have expected you to know this and not post rubbish on here that just spreads the untruth that it is illegal to home school in Hong Kong.

The truth is that there are strict guidelines and procedures that must be followed in Hong Kong if you want to home school your kids the LEGAL way. If you do it the illegal way, thats up to you and perhaps the EDB does turn a blind eye to this 'illegal' activity. But there is also a perfectly legal way to home school your kids in HK and get the official blessing of the EDB.

>> runs compulsory examinations in HK each year

expat kids or local kids ?

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Crap. It is not illegal and the EDB does not turn a blind eye to anybody. In fact, the EDB actively runs compulsory examinations in HK each year for kids that are home schooled and monitors them to ensure they are being taught correctly and to a certain standard. As a teacher, I would have expected you to know this and not post rubbish on here that just spreads the untruth that it is illegal to home school in Hong Kong.
    I beg to differ. Officially, if a parent refuses to place their 6-15 year old child in school, they can be fined up to 10000 and/or 3 months of jail. this is not a lie, just look it up on the internet. a quick Google search will tell you that pretty easily.

recently, a parent tried to home school and after a two year legal battle he was forced to enroll his child in school ( I believe this was discussed earlier on this very thread). He was a local though. As I said, the EDB turns a blind eye to homeschooling, although it is still technically not sanctioned.

Rather than write angry posts, do the research. Post it here. If you find any information from the EDB specifically stating homeschooling is legal and sanctioned, with information on how they go about monitoring homeschoolers, I would be very happy to read all about it. As would the others here, I'm sure.

Interesting statement on the EDB website here

Under the existing policy, all parents must send their children (aged 6 – 15) who have the right of abode in Hong Kong to attend schools.
    which, by implication says that existing policy is more relaxed about children who don't have the right of abode (and are merely temporary residents).

To my knowledge,

both bdw and globetrotterjk's comments are not correct.

I certain that homeschooling for LOCAL kids is illegal, I am also certain that homeschooling for EXPAT kids is legal. There, that's that one sorted out.

home schooling for expat kids is most certainly NOT legal... UNLESS you have permission from the education dept to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by jadick:
    Also one of our children is an adopted African American baby. Any ideas if that will make us more of a spectacle than we already will be
    This just sounds weird - sorry.

As for home schooling there over a million kids in the USA being home schooled which is probably more a reflection on the state of public schools than the benefits of home schooling.

Given that public schools are a reasonably recent thing (150 years at a guess) the benefits of attending them to get a higher EQ probably need to be looked (any papers out there?) but it certainly certainly appears a very persuasive argument for letting kids 'be normal'.

As HK usually ranks in the very top of peer rankings for educational standards (although Western teachers moan that local students don't exhibit creativity in the way they like to see it).

What are the advantages of home schooling when such a good local system is here and very good private schools are also available?