Like Tree8Likes

Home Schooling in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Err, original post was 4 years ago ...

Looking for Expat Parents educating in Sai Kung area

I have recently arrived to find the extensive waiting lists at all schools in the area and was told there may be an active group of parents educating their own children (primary age) in the Sai Kung area. The same person that informed me of this said they also have authorization. My interest is peaked, as I have a P1 child. Anyone have leads on the matter or that can connect me with someone who might? It would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Just because one person has authorisation does not mean you will get it. According to Carang (one of the posters here) there is an excellent local school that she sends here children too in the Sai Kung area. That might also help you. I believe another poster mentioned a Meetup group for home schooling so try looking there - but please don't assume its easy to get permission.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    - but please don't assume its easy to get permission.
    Seeing as local parents get prosecuted...
    MovingIn07 likes this.

lee siu yam memorial primary school beside the swimming pool is a local school that has an english stream and a cantonese stream. there are loads of mixed and expat kids ob the school. fees are $0

Sent from my GT-I8150 using GeoClicks Mobile

>> Seeing as local parents get prosecuted...

In that non attendance case, the mother is demanding a band One school for her daughter, she is not doing homeschooling.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan:
    >> Seeing as local parents get prosecuted...

In that non attendance case, the mother is demanding a band One school for her daughter, she is not doing homeschooling.
    Well I guess technically "home-schooling" would be non-attendance as in Hong Kong, children are required by law to attend school. In the Dearing Leung case, the father tried to home-school her but he was prosecuted for her non-attendance at school.
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 09-08-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Although homeschooling require non-attendance, non-attendance may or may not be a homeschooling case. And really most of the NA cases are not homeschooling cases. See the difference ?

>> children are required by law to attend school

When it is illegal ? The law in Hong Kong does not say homeschooling is legal or illegal. So it is misleading to assume homeschooling is illegal.

When the EDB follow a non attendance case, they will try their best to help the family arrange a school for the kid. If the parents do not cooperate and do not have reasonable excuse. EDB " may " issue attendance order as a final resort.

If the parents decide not following the attendance order. Such action is consider "illegal" now. But if the parents change their mind and follow the attendance order. it is not illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Seeing as local parents get prosecuted...
    Anybody not authorised to homeschool their kids can be prosecuted.

To be authorised you need to make a case to the education bureau, need to present to them a curicculum that you intend to teach and explain how you are going to teach it, the EDB will review and approve the curicculum, and if authorised you kids will be tested by the government every 6 months. There is a formal and strict procedure in place, and I doubt that it is only for expats and not locals as some people here seem to be suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Well I guess technically "home-schooling" would be non-attendance as in Hong Kong, children are required by law to attend school. In the Dearing Leung case, the father tried to home-school her but he was prosecuted for her non-attendance at school.
    Without knowing anything about this case, I will take a wild stab in the dark and say the father did not follow the procedures I posted above and was not authorised to homeschool his kids, and therefore was prosecuted. It doesnt mean that homeschooling as a whole is illegal in Hong Kong.