Like Tree8Likes

Home Schooling in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by jago25_98:
    I'm not impressed with large class sizes.

What is the shortest time a kid can go to school to meet the requirement to be at a school?
    I would then top up the shortfall with expensive private tuition.
    how old is your kid

What time is 'whole day in Hong Kong'? We finish here at 16:30. In the UK it was 3pm. Some of the kids are here from 0830-1730 though.

My kid isn't born yet. This, and money in general is the main reason why.

I'm a teacher.

Personally I find every additional student to reduce teaching quality. 12 is very different from 30. 1 is very different from 2.
    Even with perfect classroom management the numbers are a very big factor.

I got the impression from reading in some places that EDB isn't really going to hunt you down for an expat kid so I would think that would give you some flexibility in scheduling. As in not having to report to the EDB your curriculum, school day, etc.

Put your child on a waiting list for an international school where he/she will never get in and tell them you are waiting for a place in international school. They will go away- if they ever hunt you down in the first place.

I know from my experience in Japan that no one would have noticed if I had homeschooled my child- I think the hassle of dealing with non-Chinese speakers (or in my case, non-Japanese speakers) outweighs their concern. Also their thinking is that expat children will go home and be someone else's problem.

Apologies if you are not an expat...

My sister is a teacher and home-schooled her three Russia-adopted children for a few years in the US- school was eternally grateful to not have to deal with Russian speakers...I feel like HK feels the same way about non-Chinese speakers...

Vrindavan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jago25_98:
    What time is 'whole day in Hong Kong'? We finish here at 16:30. In the UK it was 3pm. Some of the kids are here from 0830-1730 though.

My kid isn't born yet. This, and money in general is the main reason why.

I'm a teacher.

Personally I find every additional student to reduce teaching quality. 12 is very different from 30. 1 is very different from 2.
    Even with perfect classroom management the numbers are a very big factor.
    The whole day is whatever the school day is at that school.

Your answer on class sizes is meaningless. Do you then classify 2 as a large class size?

I would be more worried about the pollution you are going to force on your baby than potential class sizes in a few years time.

My kid is in Kindergarten and you can choose 1/2 day or full day, each class has around 20 kids with 2-3 Teachers+assistant so its cool. We choose full day and she gets on the school bus at 8.10 am and gets back off the bus at 4.45pm. You can apply for the voucher to make kindergarten costs affordable but choose the schools that accept it.

https://www.edb.gov.hk/en/edu-system...ndex.html#PEVS

Primary school onwards is Full day - 7 hrs aprox apparently from gov website.

https://www.edb.gov.hk/en/edu-system...ing/index.html

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6