Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Home Schooling in HK?

Question Home Schooling in HK?

We are relocating with our 6(!!!) kids from the US to HK in april 06. We currently Homeschool and are planning on continuing there. I am having trouble finding anything about it online. I found one link but it has been forwarded to the DB info site. We are planning on living in DB. My DH will be working in Fo Tan. Also one of our children is an adopted African American baby. Any ideas if that will make us more of a spectacle than we already will be or if our sheer volume will be enough

shear volume will do it for you!

i live in DB... not to worry... i do know a family with 4 boys...i haven't heard of many with more than that...sorry...

as for your beautiful baby fitting in.. don't worry, in DByou get all shapes, sizes and colours!
    i met a lady who is dutch(?) and has three adopted childre... one is chinese, one is Indian/Sri Lankan, and i can't remember the other, only that she's a girl....they all speak Dutch with their mum...i know about 4 or 5 people in Db alone that are in some stage of adopting a hk baby....

there are some black people around...a few from N america...some from the UK.... and some from Africa...

don't worry! you'll fit right in!!!

Welcome to HONG KONG!

As for homeschooling I know that at the Adventist College in Clearwater Bay they run a coop homeschooling program there for primary school children - if you want info on homeschooling I suggest you start there. I do know that most of the children in that program are from the US, UK and Canada.

Also, you can learn more about what is offered in Hong Kong such as public and private services - through this website - but the government also buts out a guide book (GUIDE to SERVICES: YOUR GUIDE TO SERVICES IN HONG KONG) to help you nevigate government offices and services as well as some private ones You can obtain this book in about seven languages - including English -

Contact the home affairs bureau at :
    tel: +852-21211716
    e-mail:[email protected]
    www.hab.gov.hk

I'm afraid homeschooling is illegal in HK, at least with locals, not sure if expats are exempted. Children between 6-15 must go to schools.This is our famous 9 year compulsory education. 2 years ago, there was TV news and a documentary about a father homeschooling his daughter. The govt interfered. Finally the father and daughter escaped to China.

Lightbulb Yes - Valencia You are correct

that is why at Adventist College the parents have established a co-op school of sort...I believe it is with government approval. I don't have children that go there I just meet people who do a few times.

Escaped to CHINA?!?!?

That shocks me!
    Well I hope we are able to work within the law I don't want to have that kind of problem but since this is only a 2 year gig I don't want my kids to go thru that kind of change... Moving from the midwest in MN to HK is huge enough. Going from homeschool to international school would be just too much! I LOVE THIS SITE I have been lurking for months. Thanks for all the helpful replies !!

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location
    Quote Originally Posted by Valencia
    I'm afraid homeschooling is illegal in HK, at least with locals, not sure if expats are exempted. Children between 6-15 must go to schools.This is our famous 9 year compulsory education. 2 years ago, there was TV news and a documentary about a father homeschooling his daughter. The govt interfered. Finally the father and daughter escaped to China.
    Isn't that sort of action limited to the local citizens/permanent residents?

How would that impact an expatriate family relocating here temporarily?

Hi,

Anyone homeschooling here in HK? I am considering it and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

LOTS of Homeschoolers in HK

We did it for awhile an there are loads of families, in Shatin, Tai Po, and DB who do as well. Go to www.meet-up.com and look up Hong Kong Homeschool Group. There are something like 80 families signed on there. However, those families are mostly with young children. The families that I know with older children are too busy with homeschooling to participate. Good luck!

direct link is here

The Hong Kong Homeschool Meetup Group (Hong Kong) - Meetup.com

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast