Postgraduate study at HKU?

Closed Thread

Postgraduate study at HKU?

Hi everyone,

I'm finishing my BSc at a major American university and I've been considering MSc/MEng programs. I'm in the field of civil engineering, and the emphasis I want to concentrate in is not widely available at American universities, but it is at HKU. I've spent some time in HK in the past, so I'm very interested in the HKU program.

For those of you who have experienced university programs in both the US and HK, how do the experiences compare? For example, how do the teaching standards and expectations for students compare? Is HKU a competitive university? How easy would it be for an American to adjust or fit in with the environment?

I appreciate your help and insight. Thanks!

HKU is very well ranked in the world, 24th according to the QS/Times rankings. Entrance is not too hard to secure for a MEng, I got in with a 3.01 GPa from McGill (though I did not choose to go there) which is a school with similar international ranking.

There are several points you may want to consider. You will not get funding for a MEng, for a MSc I am not certain, and you may not be able to secure a place in dorms. The HKU website recommends around 20k USD to live in Hong Kong per year, if you are humble that may be enough. On the positive side, your international tuition fees will probably be lower than at an american university or even a downright-terrible american community college! So overall for a MEng you are looking at 2 years at a cost of 20k each, so is it worth 40k of debts to you? And MSc can last anywhere from a year to 3 years.

The most important point for you to consider is how well your HKU diploma will be looked upon where you live after graduation, USA tends to look at their own shoes a lot when it comes to academia, and that may detrimental to you.

Pros: Great international school, easy to get, it's Hong Kong

Cons: No funding, recognition in home country uncertain, cost

Quote Originally Posted by mole:
    For those of you who have experienced university programs in both the US and HK, how do the experiences compare? For example, how do the teaching standards and expectations for students compare? Is HKU a competitive university? How easy would it be for an American to adjust or fit in with the environment?

I appreciate your help and insight. Thanks!
    By the way I cannot help with this part, since I haven't experienced either US or HK universities.