Hong Kong International School

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hong Kong International School

HI,
    I am interested in putting my son in hong kong international school?
    My son is 4 years old and overly energetic,so I want a school which has lot of extracurricular activities.Can any one suggest me a school with lot of extra curricular activities, anf how is HkIS.
    Thanks,
    Cma

GSIS is worth consisering as it does have extra curricular activities and pretty good discipline.

I hear it is one of the best if not the best schools in HK

Both are excellent, but I'd rather my kids went to GSIS...

how much is the school fees ?

Quote Originally Posted by Katanga:
    GSIS is worth consisering as it does have extra curricular activities and pretty good discipline.

I hear it is one of the best if not the best schools in HK
    I spent a year in GSIS (Form 3). Absolute worst year of my life. Especially having come from an American school.

why ? pls tell more

Well, at least coming from an American background (elementary and junior high school in the USA), GSIS seemed a lot harsher. The teachers there seemed to be more interested in finding ways of criticizing or putting down students than the actual teaching. My home teacher (not sure what it's called anymore, but it's the session you have at the beginning of every day) liked to yell at us, usually when unprovoked. Not sure if it was psychological issues or what, but he would start talking or lecturing, and then work himself up into a literal fit. One time, he very nearly cracked his desk when he put his fist into it. Strangely enough, I saw him at a debate competition about 3-4 months after I had left GSIS. After having spent every morning in his class for a year, he didn't recognize me. He's probably the worst example, and that's not representative of all the teachers. Some were good, and genuinely interested in teaching. But that was one or two out of the whole bunch.

The environment wasn't that great either. Just compared to HKIS, the kids at GSIS seemed to be a lot harsher. Got bullied a lot there, which never happened at HKIS. Could have just been adjustment to a new system, but one year doesn't make all that much difference. Also, just from my perspective, a lot of trust fund kids. Actually, you'll get that at HKIS too, so I don't know if that'll matter to you in the end.

Honestly, after a year there, I knew a little German, a lot about British innovation the past three hundred years, and not a whole lot else. I didn't really learn anything new, and I felt a whole lot more challenged mentally once I made the switch to HKIS.

Question

Is the Canadian system similar to American system ?

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Yes. Certainly more so than to the ESF system.

>> Not sure if it was psychological issues or what, but he would start talking or lecturing, and then work himself up into a literal fit.

Cant resist asking ... did he have a toothbrush mushtache?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast