Which Uni in HK to do MBA?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    You've got to hurry a little my friend. GMAT sessions are quite full those days. Some friends even had to go to China to pass it...
    Thank goodness I'm not going to have to make a long trip to take the test.. I went through the registration process at mba.com and was able to get an appointment next week at a testing center about a block away from my apartment!

Now I just have to study...

FYI - there's also an info session for HKU MBAs this Saturday.. link here: http://mba.hku.hk/admission/index.asp?doc=procedures

Red face

Thanks Wes for the post. Would you have any clue what's the success rate for the placements after the MBA? I read somewhere on their website that they do placements after the MBA. And my other question is that woud they do a placement for an foreign student? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunniefaith:
    Thanks Wes for the post. Would you have any clue what's the success rate for the placements after the MBA? I read somewhere on their website that they do placements after the MBA. And my other question is that woud they do a placement for an foreign student? Thanks
    HKU - 100% LOCAL OR NON-LOCAL STUDENTS!!!

No doubt about it!!! They have the best placement services and before most students complete their courses they are already being offered jobs - like I said- talk to Sachin.

regards,

Rubina.
    Last edited by alikhanrubina; 09-02-2006 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes:
    Thank goodness I'm not going to have to make a long trip to take the test.. I went through the registration process at mba.com and was able to get an appointment next week at a testing center about a block away from my apartment!

Now I just have to study...

FYI - there's also an info session for HKU MBAs this Saturday.. link here: http://mba.hku.hk/admission/index.asp?doc=procedures
    If you've never taken the GMAT before, you might want to give yourself some more time. It can be pretty grueling, especially if you haven't brushed up on number theory and the properties of inverse square roots. The data sufficiency parts of the exam in particular are a killer.

I'd highly recommend the PowerPREP software on mba.com, it's got a bunch of practice GMAT questions, and a couple of practice tests. The practice tests are great for timing yourself, and will introduce you to the hell that is computer adaptive testing.

Talking

here some good rankings regarding which school:
    EIU (more recent than 2002!!)
    http://mba.eiu.com/index.asp?layout=2002rankings
    FT (brandnew 2006)
    http://rankings.ft.com/rankings/mba/rankings.html

check also the business week ranking => google

good luck for the GMAT, 1 week for prep only => no fun

Red face

alikhanrubina,

Thanks! Will definitely check out HKU. Will call Sachin when I get to HK. Thanks for the reassurance!

Quote Originally Posted by Krad:
    If you've never taken the GMAT before, you might want to give yourself some more time. It can be pretty grueling, especially if you haven't brushed up on number theory and the properties of inverse square roots. The data sufficiency parts of the exam in particular are a killer.

I'd highly recommend the PowerPREP software on mba.com, it's got a bunch of practice GMAT questions, and a couple of practice tests. The practice tests are great for timing yourself, and will introduce you to the hell that is computer adaptive testing.
    Turns out a week was all I needed. I downladed the free prep software that you mentioned.. did all the sample problems, brushed up on my math, and took the two practice tests, plus a couple more practice tests from Kaplan. On the last powerprep test I got a great score, so I decided I was ready. The next day at the real test I got the exact same score, so I guess the Powerprep test is a pretty good predictor

I'm primarily looking at the HKU full time MBA.. got my application in, hoping to interview soon. It seems like a great program, but I'm still trying to determine for sure if it is worth the investment in time and money. I'm also taking a look at HKUST, though they seem like they have a lesser reputation and their campus would be a royal pain for me commute to several times a week.

Any local MBA alums want to share their experience with HK MBA programs? Any bosses/hiring managers want to share their opinions on the value of an MBA from these schools?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes:
    Turns out a week was all I needed. I downladed the free prep software that you mentioned.. did all the sample problems, brushed up on my math, and took the two practice tests, plus a couple more practice tests from Kaplan. On the last powerprep test I got a great score, so I decided I was ready. The next day at the real test I got the exact same score, so I guess the Powerprep test is a pretty good predictor

What is a great score? 700 or more?

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    What is a great score? 700 or more?
    In this case, yes; although what constitutes a 'great' GMAT score is somewhat subjective.

It all depends where you wanna study of course