International School for My Children

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

True, but most of the parents who send their kids to the above mentioned schools tend to spoil their kids. And then there is the well know adage ... one rotten apple and all that crap.

Hmm.... So, let me get this right. Going to a International school because parents spoiling their beloved kids = Bad Apples? Erm... what about, If I tell you I was in a International School in England? Then I said "I won an scholarship"... This makes me Bad Apple too?

Yeah Right.
    WHATEVER!

And bible bashing?... Never, mine went up in flames! Great for rolling splifts.

South Island School

Posted earlier from Ajay: HKIS is the American standard... If you'd prefer an alternative, look into the ESF (English School Foudation). Quarry Bay School in Braemar Hill (North Point) is an excellent choice, while South Island School in Aberdeen will prove pretty good from 7th grade onwards. Having attended both schools I can speak pretty highly of them. In the event you're undecided there is always the option of visiting them once you arrive in Hong Kong and possibly even transfer at a later date. Hope this helps.

Best,

Ajay
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I agree with Ajay.
    My son attended Braemar Hill and South Island School.
    They are the British style, perhaps more compatible with someone from Singapore.
    The student body will also be more diverse.

My son attended Form 6 in UK and was admitted to a few UK universities, but attended undergraduate school in the US and graduate school in HK.
    I don't know if you're thinking that far ahead, but I think the foundation of the British system transfers well, possibly better than the US system.

Quote Originally Posted by alicialui:
    If you have doubts about HKIS and CIS, you can possibly check out FIS or GSIS. They're education system is quite good, and the children tend to be less rich and less spoilt.
    *cough* yeah, right, OK. A school (GSIS) located on THE PEAK has less rich and less spoilt students.

Any International school in Hong Kong is going to have their share of trust fund babies. It's a fact of life in HK. But all of these schools also have regular kids. Geez, from some of the comments you find in these forums, you'd think that we were all born with silver spoons in mouth.

Find a school that matches closely with the system that your kids are used to (this is important, there are significant differences between British and American school systems and for someone just going into secondary, switching systems can be a pretty big shock). Find a school that encourages your kids to learn and think for themselves, and find a school that encourages physical and artistic growth. Most importantly, find a school that your kids are *comfortable* with.

Another one you can consider is Kiangsu & Chekiang in Braemar Hill, just down the road from Quarry Bay ESF and CIS. Do a search, I've posted about it a few times. Both my kids are there. They put real emphasis on teaching Mandarin - 1hr a day rather than about 1hr a week in ESF.

We actually moved our kids into the all-Mandarin section a while ago. The young one (just 5) is taking to it just fine, but we've had to decide to move the older one back to the international stream at the end of this year. It is tough going if you can't help with homework etc, but worth it if they can make the leap.

KIA

I am disappointed at your view that HKIS, CIS etc produce spolit brats.

I would expect more from a moderator like yourself.

Does that mean that any other regular school does not produce spoilt brats ?

One would have thought that it is more about the environment you are brought up in which is hugely influenced by parenting.

In HK there seem to be lots of spolit brats so should one assume that they all went to one of the private schools you mention or could one assume that it is parenting and the environment where kids are taught to leave a trail of disaster behind them but there is always the maid to clear things up.

Perhaps these were views through your own personal experience, Shri ?

tanks

Last edited by Katanga; 01-04-2006 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katanga:
    KIA

I am disappointed at your view that HKIS, CIS etc produce spolit brats.

I would expect more from a moderator like yourself.

Does that mean that any other regular school does not produce spoilt brats ?
    Theres going to be a higher concentration of spoilt brats in the international schools as the parents are extremely wealthy compared to say your equivalent local school, Of course there will be the one upmanship like pupil A has a $4000 mobile phone then Pupil B says to there parents I want a $5000 phone etc etc!

I've witnesses these spoilt tantrums many a time and oh don't even get me started about some of the things I overheard from some CIS students!

We shouldn't confuse being spoilt with having a superiority complex.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Katanga, I'm with you on everything you posted. Take the moderator's remarks with a huge pinch of salt. In the HK int'l schooling environment, how spoilt kids are is essentially a parenting and parental values thing (including how parents handle the kinds of influences Jimbo mentioned) and HKIS produces plenty of perfectly normal kids, thank you. Besides, there are vast numbers of students in HKIS and other expensive N. American oriented schools whose parents' are in HK as expatriates on transfer whose employers are paying the fees or differential over home country costs - a pretty standard feature of expat packages. No correlation with whether the expats are "extremely wealthy" or not. The extremely wealthy parents are usually local but their influence on the school culture at least at HKIS is pretty limited.

how about ESF Beacon Hill and Shatin Junior school?

Quote Originally Posted by amethyst:
    Posted earlier from Ajay: HKIS is the American standard... If you'd prefer an alternative, look into the ESF (English School Foudation). Quarry Bay School in Braemar Hill (North Point) is an excellent choice, while South Island School in Aberdeen will prove pretty good from 7th grade onwards. Having attended both schools I can speak pretty highly of them. In the event you're undecided there is always the option of visiting them once you arrive in Hong Kong and possibly even transfer at a later date. Hope this helps.

Best,

Ajay
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I agree with Ajay.
    My son attended Braemar Hill and South Island School.
    They are the British style, perhaps more compatible with someone from Singapore.
    The student body will also be more diverse.

My son attended Form 6 in UK and was admitted to a few UK universities, but attended undergraduate school in the US and graduate school in HK.
    I don't know if you're thinking that far ahead, but I think the foundation of the British system transfers well, possibly better than the US system.