International School for My Children

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question International School for My Children

Hello,

I am making my preparation to move from Singapore to Hong Kong to work. I have 3 children (1 going to Secondary 1, 1 going to Primary 6 and 1 into preparatory).

I checked the Singapore International School which covers only preparatory years 1&2 and Primary levels. Naturally, I will choose this for my 2 younger children (any comments?)

Any advice from the Singaporean community where I should put my eldest child?

Looking forward to all your views.

Gerald

Gerald,

You may want to do some research over at http://www.classmateasia.com they provide a fairly comprehensive overview of the various schools in Hong Kong.

KnowItAll,

Thanks for the URL. I had gone through the material there and it's informative.

To all,

Anyone out there who is a Singaporean having children in Secondary level? Any advice which International school is more appropriate and why? I was thinking of Chinese International School because they emphasize "Pu Tong Hua" even though main language for teaching is English. Your advise would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Gerald

Quote Originally Posted by Paul:
    I think pretty much all the international schools offer fairly extensive putonghua training. One other thing to watch out for with some of the international schools is the bible bashing - HKIS in particular is as much a missionary group as a school, and has more or less compulsory daily Christianity inculcation and it is required that all of their teachers be practising Christians. You may or may not think this is a good thing in a multi-cultural world.
    Surprising. I wasn't aware of this. This is more good news than bad news to me. However, I'm not a 'bible basher' myself.

A couple of points.

Putting your kid through a phutonghua education when you yourself don't speak it, is painful. We've got a friend who is doing this and have heard its painful.

The ESF and most international schools will offer a fairly good mandarin program. Your kid is not going to come out fluent but will have working knowledge of the system.

CIS, HKIS etc, tend to be breeding grounds for ex-brats who are spoilt. You have to take this into account when you look for a school. Far too many parents either want the best education for their kids and equate this to the 'most expensive school'. This unfortunately results in the parents taking little responsibility (hey .. we put them in the best schools) and the kids turning into spoilt brats. I'm not suggesting this is what you're trying to do, I'm just offering an alternative view point.

KnowItAll,

Thanks for the info. Having children becoming like spoilt brats is certainly one of the concerns I have sending children to International schools (probably a perception I had due to incidents from Singapore such as Michael Fay).

You seem to single out CIS, HKIS, etc. What is the "etc" in your opinion.

Thanks & regards

Gerald

now reply to earlier KnowItAll's reply
    might be true that CIS,HKIS,AIS,SIS and are breeding grounds for spoiled brats.
    But I studied in HKIS, and I frankly could see that it might be the best possible International School in HK. Colleges and Universties have all heard of the school HKIS, and I see many of my peers suceed Academically and socially.
    This school believes in self, if you do not want to work for it, you can get terrible grades, but if you try your hardest in any kind of subject they will support you and make you the best.
    Kids that are lacking in academical grades can also be fine in the real world, because of the numerous amount of activites and facilities HKIS has.
    Yes, I agree HKIS has produced a lot of spoiled brats, that smoke, and drink.
    But if you want the best for your kids, and think that your kids can control themselves and be able to exceed in this school, then nothing will be able to stop them. This school also really teaches kids on how to fend for themselves, which is a good preperation for college/university.
    This school is able no matter what to send your kids to a university worth going to. The money might be a problem but its all worth it, they provide the best study environment, and the best environment for other kids to exceed in other subjects, such as P.E. and the arts.

If you have doubts about HKIS and CIS, you can possibly check out FIS or GSIS. They're education system is quite good, and the children tend to be less rich and less spoilt.

Quote Originally Posted by alicialui:
    If you have doubts about HKIS and CIS, you can possibly check out FIS or GSIS. They're education system is quite good, and the children tend to be less rich and less spoilt.
    ESF is best for "normal kids" very few spoilt brats. Great equipment and teachers. try glenealy, clearwaterbay, etc. For secondary try southisland, island, westisland, depending on where u live.

what a weird thread.
    schools don't make spoilt brats, parents do.
    ESF schools have dropped in quality considerably in the last 5 years.
    The international schools FIS, GSIS, CIS are much more expesnive but IMHO provide a better quality of education, exposure and preparation for University.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast