Hi There
I thought I would like to add my few cents worth of Montessori Education. I have heard great things about it and was so awed by the teaching philosophy that I was 100% sure I was going to send my child to one, however, after extensive research and seeing a class for real, I had found there are some limitations and very important ones too.

Firstly, creativity and imagination is missing. Not only is it missing, it appears to be discouraged. There is no room for imagination to take place. All the materials are diadatic, meaning, there is only one solution. The child cannot investigate it further and see what "other" things he/she can do with it. Imagination is very important from the ages of 3 to 7years. Who were the great inventors in human kind? These guys had to think out of the box to create something different.

Secondly, music, strictly speaking is limited. There appears to be little singing and rhythm / patterning within the curriculum. Rhythm is something that children thrive on.

Thirdly, lack of social development. Children use the materials and sit on a mat to focus. This is a very individual activity. Although some children do get together to focus together on some activity, this is by chance only, but it appears that social interaction is not encouraged.

Fourthly, this is personal opinion only, it is too ordered. I love order too, but is too much order teaching children too much compliance? Doesn't a little bit of breaking the rules create people who are not afraid to step beyond boundaries and take risks?

Finally, movement is not emphasised within the curriculum. Many studies have shown that movement is critical for the children's development, especially the brain.

Anyway, for information, just google "Critique Montessori". I love the Montessori methods and will implement at home, but I just want people to be aware that it is just one alternative teaching and is not all emcompassing. I would still consider sending my child to Montessori but make sure I supplement it with more imaginative play, movement and music outside the classroom.

Food for thought.