Stanley + Car + other ? expat i bankers?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Stanley to Central is only a few kilometres, although you do have mountains in the way! That time of the morning expect about 15 - 20 mins by minibus. Finding a parking space can take you more than that! As someone who does drive here a bit of advice.

If you are working in the same place day in day out, or even just on the island all day, don't worry about a car, it's only an extra hassle you don't need and will stress you out. If you are travelling around the whole of HK including Kowloon and the NT then it can be a quicker and more relaxing experience. Even then it depends where you are going. If I'm working around Mongkok, Prince Edward or TST areas I never take the car, well rarely. The train is king. But getting to some part of NT or even some parts of outer Kowloon is faster by car.

Don;t forget if you are here you will need to pay for parking where you live (may be included though) and you will have to pay wherever you go to park also. So double bubble and can be expensive!

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Besides Stanley and DB, check out Chung Hom Kok on the south side if you want to avoid tower living.

cab?

we are going to live in Tai tam and my husband will take a cab every day to Central. He will go around 7.30 which will take around 25 min.
    We will have a car but he will not use it to work because of parking problems. Cab is easier and not that expensive if you are used to London (it is even cheaper than a mini-cab).
    Good luck!

how much would the cab cost?

Depends on the traffic, but about HK$100-120 including the tunnel toll.

jees that's cheap. I'm going to like HK.

Quote Originally Posted by animalmom
    jees that's cheap. I'm going to like HK.
    Hi the cab fare in japan is a lot higher than many cities in the world. I find it's more ex than getting a limo in Manhattan... cab fare in HK is comparable to many asian cities. It's cheap to get around central area with cab cos it stays around 15 hkd for <2 km distance

dirt cheap compared to London heh.

Before you set yourself up as too much of a banker-wanker you might like to reflect on the fact that the taxi fare quoted would consume more than 50% of the average income in HK if you took it to and from work every day.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    Before you set yourself up as too much of a banker-wanker you might like to reflect on the fact that the taxi fare quoted would consume more than 50% of the average income in HK if you took it to and from work every day.
    from the original thread title that would of course be i banker / i w******

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast