Stanley + Car + other ? expat i bankers?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

It's relatively cheap in relation to other big cities! How much is the bus?

Last edited by animalmom; 22-08-2006 at 04:56 PM.

animalmom - if money isn't an issue for you, then you'll have plenty of options. You can buy or rent a low-rise semi-detached house on the south side of the Island (Repulse Bay, Tai Tam, Shouson Hill, Stanley etc). Some of these areas offer beach access and the quality of life there is very comfortable. They're expensive but only to those who can't afford it.

Depending on where your office is, you can rent a monthly parking space in one of the public carparks (http://www.wilsonparking.com.hk) to minimise parking hassles. This will set you back about HKD 1200-2000 for a spot in Central/Admiralty.

As a banker working odd hours, you defintely don't want the hassle of having to deal with ferries if you don't have to.

Good luck with your move to HK. Your money generally goes a lot further here in HK than NYC, London, Tokyo, Seoul...

Last edited by lionrock88; 22-08-2006 at 05:06 PM.

Thanks very much for your response,

I certainly want to avoid a high rise and from what I've heard repulse bay is very nice too. I have fond memories of living in a duplex in San Diego 2 blocks from the beach when I was a lad and I'd love something like that.

Yes, the idea of living on the beach seems great.

About cars - I have heard there are big taxes on new cars? Is this true because it appears new car prices are cheaper in HK than London but I'm not sure if taxes are taken into consideration? A friend advised that you should buy a used car in HK rather than new - any good ideas on where to check prices?

Thanks for all the responses to my questions. I expatted off to London a year ago and had all the same questions - I am dorky-spreadsheeting
    all your answers so they are appreciated!

You are OK with the snakes, geckos and miscellaneous other creatures that visit you if you live in a house?

oh certainly - I will have 2 critter killing cats in residence as well.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK
    Quote Originally Posted by lionrock88:
    Depending on where your office is, you can rent a monthly parking space in one of the public carparks (http://www.wilsonparking.com.hk) to minimise parking hassles. This will set you back about HKD 1200-2000 for a spot in Central/Admiralty.
    Conventional wisdom in Central/Admiralty is between 3 and 4K.

Conventional wisdom vs. actual fact, my friend

Quote Originally Posted by HKFella:
    Conventional wisdom in Central/Admiralty is between 3 and 4K.
    Wilson Parking
    22 COTTON TREE DRIVE
    CAR / VAN 私家車/客貨車
    Monthly Parking Fees
    $1200

66 QUEENSWAY
    CAR / VAN 私家車/客貨車
    Monthly Parking Fees
    $1500

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Vinci Parking - Admiralty $3300

Quote Originally Posted by animalmom:
    oh certainly - I will have 2 critter killing cats in residence as well.
    An expat's rather large dog was taken by a Burmese Python recently so I hope you have big cats!