Stanley + Car + other ? expat i bankers?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Stanley + Car + other ? expat i bankers?

Hmm I think I actually will be coming to HK now, I'm heading over to HK and then our Tokyo Offices at the end of the month to meet with people.

Is there a better chance to avoid the Tower High Rise situation by living on the south side of the island?

I understand a bunch of I-Banking expats do that - is there a beach etc? Can you get a non-high rise accomodation there?

What are ther advantages of the South Side places like Stanley/Repulse bay (I am clueless so tell all pls)

I can't live where I'm subject to ferries because of dodgy hours.

How do people get to work from there - taxis? I have my eye on a porsche cayman S and want to know if it's practical to drive to work (early - in by 7?)

Is there a subway to work from there?

Thanks for all advice.

Oh throw in any expat banker advice too.

DB ferries run 24 hours....

do a check on www.gohome.com.hk

you can narrow your search parameters and have an idea of what you can get for your price range. take it all with a pinch of salt though!

congrats! how exciting!

Last edited by carang; 18-08-2006 at 10:31 PM.

thats interesting - what is the schedule like? every 30 mins etc?

Is it really annoying dealing with ferries?

If you have your eye on a Porsche Caymen S, there's one broken down by the side of Highway 1 by the Tai Wai slip road - the 5th I've seen this year. They don't seem to be that great coping with the humidity. A friend of mine got rid of his for the same reason, his Range Rover Sport seems to be coping a little better! Beware though with sports car in HK, parking spaces are tiny and there are many car parks where the ramps are so narrow that little compact cars have to go into reverse a couple of times just to be able to get up without scraping the sides.

Last edited by jaykay; 18-08-2006 at 10:45 PM.

is it just really not worth it having a car and driving to work?

some peopel hate the ferries.

personally i find it much more relaxing than trying to fight the traffic.

in the moring rush hours the ferry runs from every 12 minutes (until 9:20am)
    then 20 minutes until around 10 or so.
    then is switches to 1/2 hour.
    around 4pm it goes back to 20 mintues(school kids coming home)
    then every 15 for rush hour.
    around 7 or so, it goes back to every 1/2 hour until around 11pm
    then it goes to every hour.
    in the wee hours it's every 1.5 hours for a couple of sailings (more frequently on weekends and public holidays)

i don't mind the ferries at all. in the mornings most people grab a coffe and read the morning paper or sleep.
    coming home you can chat with your friends, grab a beer, read a mag, watch your ipod or sleep up to you.

it gives you that wind down time built into your day.

you'll also get a lot more for you $ in Db than on south side!

dont' forget the cost of parking as well.

in central it can literally set you back thousands of dollars per month.
    many residences you have to pay for parking as well, setting you back thousands more!

thanks Carang,

Yeah I could never deal with that schedule I don't believe. However, you never know.

no problem. like i said, some people detest it. but for most, we know what time the ferry leaves and we leave work accordingly, no matter the time of day.

How long does it take to get to central from stanley in the morning? How do people do it - private car, taxi, bus?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast