repulse bay with 16month girl and labrador retriever

repulse bay with 16month girl and labrador retriever

My wife, 16 month old daughter, and 4 year old lab are moving to HK early 2007 on an international assignment with my employer (a bank). My wife and I came in October to look around, and we think we would like Repulse Bay most for the following reasons: good for dog walking if you live near the promenade/beach; good for a young child as we saw many young moms; relatively good commute to central (ifc). I would appreciate any perspective on Repulse Bay as a place to live given our situation, as well as any recommendations for other areas. Thanks.

Repulse Bay is fantastic - however the commute to IFC during rush hours could be lengthy due to the traffic.

You may want to check out Pokfulam - its not as posh as Repulse Bay, but has most of the same advantages and commute to IFC is quicker. Plus you will get more real estate for the same dollar, which makes a difference even if the bank is paying..

Thanks for that info. I like the idea of Pokfulam, but thought Repulse Bay might have the advantage of (1) more convenient for walking the dog with the promenade right there (I know it sounds silly but the dog is pretty important to us) and (2) we thought the further we get from Central possibly the cleaner the air might be. Thanks for your response.

The road near Cyberport has a long walkway along the waterfront for the dog and the air is as clean as you could get anywhere in HK. On the other hand it is 20 mins on empty roads to IFC. From Repluse Bay, you could spend 20 mins inside Aberdeen Tunnel on bad days.

The air quality inside the tunnel is pretty bad

Having said that Repulse Bay has beaches and there are many classy restaurants upto Stanley..

Please note that dog is not allowed at the beach in Hong Kong; but you are right that you can walk a short path from Repulse Bay to Deep Water Bay. (My golden retriever will think: What a short walk!) If you don't mind taking boat trip and you are working in Central IFC, Discovery Bay is a pretty good choice. The dog will be very happy. You can consider those apartment with garden if your employer is paying.

anyone living in Repulse Bay Apartments

I am looking at Repulse Bay Apartments and wow--they are expensive.... I am also looking at HKIS for my 2 children--again expensive. Do my expat companies pay this much for their emplyees to live and attend school in this price range ( HKIS-USD $18,000) Repulse Bay ( USD$100,000 per month)????