Moving to Kennedy Town - questions

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lynx_virux:
    Thanks. I work in KT but not living in HK side. I never heard the clubhouse in Manhattan Heights was open to the public. I've sent them an email and see how I can join it.
    I phoned Manhatten Heights and asked about their gym, the woman I spoke to said its only for residents. So not sure if they have changed the rules. Let me know what you find out.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by muse07:
    My new employer will be putting me up for one month's temporary accommodation in Manhattan Heights next month once I arrive, so was pleased to see these tips on the area! My current ignorance is such that I assume that Kennedy Town is part of midlevels? I don't really know how it all works. I bought a few travel guides on HK to orientate myself, read up on it in advance but the maps in those guides aren't that detailed.
    Nope, not part of Midlevels. Sometimes comes under Western Midlevels though. However its about 10-15 minutes drive into Central.

However Manhattan Heights is a nice block. I have been very happy with the serviced apartment I have had. FYI I'm in a 700 square feet, one bedroom one. Very decent size, lots of room.

You get dialy maid service, two tvs (one with cable), bedding, linen, towels (changed every day), a washer / dryer, hob, mircowave, fridge freezer, kettle, toaster, cutlery, crockery, telephone and DSL internet (but only wired). You also get use of the club facilities.

There is a free shuttle bus that runs to Exchange Sq in Central (every ten minutes in the morning to Exchange Sq). On the way back in the evenings its every 30 mins.

However there are loads of buses and trams going to KT. I think the 1, 5, 5B and 18 buses all run to KT from Central.

In terms of night life, I think KT is a bit quiet. It is a very local place. There are loads of local eating options. I am a bit stuck because I am vegetarian, but have found both the Indian restaurant and the Malay restaurant to be fine.

There is also a pub around the corner from MH, called The Pace, which is fine for a drink. I do understand it gets busy on the weekends as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanchk:
    I phoned Manhatten Heights and asked about their gym, the woman I spoke to said its only for residents. So not sure if they have changed the rules. Let me know what you find out.

Sean
    Thanks. I have emailed them and their answer is very simple: "Regret to advise that it is exclusively for Manhattan Heights residents". The sender didn't even put my name and his name on the email.

Quote Originally Posted by muse07:
    My new employer will be putting me up for one month's temporary accommodation in Manhattan Heights next month once I arrive, so was pleased to see these tips on the area! My current ignorance is such that I assume that Kennedy Town is part of midlevels? I don't really know how it all works. I bought a few travel guides on HK to orientate myself, read up on it in advance but the maps in those guides aren't that detailed.

An electronic map of HK and it has English version (click the link on the top left corner)
    http://www.centamap.com/gc/home.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by lynx_virux:
    Thanks. I have emailed them and their answer is very simple: "Regret to advise that it is exclusively for Manhattan Heights residents". The sender didn't even put my name and his name on the email.

Oh well... thanks for the update.

Looks like I'll have to either do the induction course so I can use the urban services gym, or use the small gym at the Novotel Harbourview in Shek Tong Tsui. Both of them are only about 2 minutes from my office so very convenient, pity the Novotel Gym is so small and the Urban Services gym although I havent been to see it probably won't have many expats there.

Sean

Oh well... thanks for the update.

Looks like I'll have to either do the induction course so I can use the urban services gym, or use the small gym at the Novotel Harbourview in Shek Tong Tsui. Both of them are only about 2 minutes from my office so very convenient, pity the Novotel Gym is so small and the Urban Services gym although I havent been to see it probably won't have many expats there.

Sean
    Maybe go to a gym closer to home? or at least move a district or two away to where a gym is.

the Urban Services gym although I havent been to see it probably won't have many expats there.

Sean
    Why does it matter if there might not be many expats there?

You're using the gym facilties there not to pick up chicks right?

Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    Maybe go to a gym closer to home? or at least move a district or two away to where a gym is.
    They couldnt be much closer really seeing as my flat is only a 5 min walk from my office and the gyms are only another 2 mins further on.

The problem is that the Novotel "gym" is actually just a small room with a very small multigym (2 stations), a single treadmill and a single cross-trainer machine, plus a single small bench (no bench press) and a small rack of dumbells that only go upto 20lbs. The room would be crowded with 3 people in it.

The Urban services gym is a proper gym but I'd feel uncomfortable working out there I think. Besides I really dont want to do the damn induction course. I know someone that has done it and its a joke, having to be shown how to use the machines as if you've never seen a gym. I'm going to go check it out but won't be surprised if they don't cater to expats in this area.

Sean

The Urban services gym is a proper gym but I'd feel uncomfortable working out there I think. Besides I really dont want to do the damn induction course. I know someone that has done it and its a joke, having to be shown how to use the machines as if you've never seen a gym. I'm going to go check it out but won't be surprised if they don't cater to expats in this area.

Sean
    Its a health and safety issue, all public gyms you have to go through the 'induction' so you know how to use the equipment properly, Yes you probably know how to use the equipment etc etc but of course not everybody does and they don't want to risk being sued in case some space cadet injures themselves on the machine.

Yes it will be mainly locals but then if you want to meet other expats then just join any of the large chains.

Can I just take a timeout and ask what is with expats requirements of seeing other expats everywhere they go? Are folks afraid of Chinese-English accents or want to feel back at home or rich or something? I try to avoid seeing expats so I can enjoy what this country has to offer. Not move in to "America town" or "UK town" etc etc. I am really curious now...Esp when people need to see expats to be able to handle a gym.

EDIT: BTW if the point of seeing expats at the gym is to pick up chicks. Imagine how many MORE chicks you can pick up when you are the different flavor to the gyms and the only expat!

Last edited by HKChigger; 16-02-2007 at 03:01 PM.