Repulse Bay & Parkview

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Repulse Bay

Ditto Stilli to your last post! Since I haven't actually seen the apt in RB, I assume we are in the same building since our address is 101 Repulse Bay Rd. Our apt, too, is being totally renovated. I did feel, after viewing a unit there last month, that it was a bit more "run-down" compared to PV, but I am prepared to make the best of it! My husband's job with AT&T is bringing us to HK. I am currently a seamstress with a stage and theater drapery company in San Antonio, TX. but I have no plans to work for at the first year that we are here. All of my children are grown. The youngest, our 19 yr old son, is remaining behind to maintain our home.....Humm....do I know what you're thinking?? Anyhow, I'm off to work now. Will check the posting later tonight and try to write with more detail...I'm not sure of the actual apt. number, so I will check when I get home. We might really be neighbors.
    Rosemary

Stilli,

I have read your postings with great interest as we are in the same situation now as you were a year ago. I am not sure if you are still living in Rep B 101. We are debating between Rep B 101 and Parkview. Our concern of PV are the same as yours - is it too hidden, how about the mist, mold, ease of access to town other than using the shuttle bus. On the other hand, I very much like the greenery and the park look of the courtyard. Finding nice green space (wihtout having to do a day trip and taking taxies) seems to be hard to find in Hong Kong. We moved from Zurich where we were outdoors all the time so we miss it. Concern of Rep B.: We find the sun just too strong even though the past few days the weather has been great but it is only a few months out of 1 year. The rest of the year one almost needs to hide. We have been living in the De Ricou serviced apartment for over 1 month. Even though the beach is very nice we realized that when it is too hot and humid (which it was for us in mid Oct) it is not really useable for us. We sit in shade and with a 2 year old boy it is not easy to keep him in one place. We like the playground on the beach but again it is in the sun except for early morning and late afternoon. We find it hard to walk down to the beach with my son since there are no ramps so I have to carry him plus the stroller. The facilities are great at RB but as you said it is hard to get to from Rep B 101 - stairs, garages, hills etc. We are planning on having another baby so with 2 kids and a stroller convenience and ease of access are very important. All in, the apartment we saw in PV was fully renovated, had excellent layout and space and we like the green aspect of it. In RB, I like the shops and there seems to be some life around but there are not many places to walk to with stroller unless one has a car and drives to the beach and then pulls the stroller out. We do not want to get a car. Anyway, I would very much appreciate any thoughts and experiences you might have on this topic. Sorry for the somewhat confusing wording but we are really split between the two places. Thanks a lot.

I don't and haven't lived in either PV or RB but I can offer this.

If you personally love walking every day in a nice safe place with lots of greenery, you can't go wrong with PV. I have walked there a number of times on weekends and there are always families there with young kids. If you are not one for walking outdoors, then it might not work.

My friend HKFella lived there and at the risk of speaking for him, his wife loved the place as it had the beauty of the countryside close to the city. He has now moved back to Toronto for his job after 10 and 1/2 years here and comes on the boards from time to time so maybe PM him for his thoughts.

Football 16

Thanks for your input. We love to walk. Is it easy to walk around PV with a stroller? Do you think the air is relatively good there? How about the mist? Is it true that one lives in the clouds 40% of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry83:
    Thanks for your input. We love to walk. Is it easy to walk around PV with a stroller? Do you think the air is relatively good there? How about the mist? Is it true that one lives in the clouds 40% of the year?

Others will have to comment on the bad days. My ventures in that area from Tai Tam up to PV and reverse were on the nice days.

Yes, it is hilly but the trail is wide and paved and lots of families are up and down there on weekends as are lots of ages including oldies. It is not wild for sure but it is beautiful and nice to walk - the reservoirs are further down but lots of women go that far it seems. And you can't get lost and there are rangers and police thru there all the time - never alone.

It is like any other feature in an area - if you use it all the time, then it can be the thing that helps you make the decision. If walking is a priority - PV is better than RB it seems to me.
    Last edited by Football16; 27-11-2008 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry83:
    Is it true that one lives in the clouds 40% of the year?
    Absolutely not. When I lived there people always asked me about this. I don't know where the rumour started. Sometimes its clowdy/ foggy, but no more than I've noticed in Repulse Bay. Also, I've read about mold issues, but it wasn't a problem for us.

There are paved paths to walk in the country park, but it is quite hilly. However, I see strollers there daily and have several friends who walk with their babies there.

Also, would on a whole consider it easier (and definitely 15 minutes faster in the morning) to get from PV to Central than from Repulse Bay to Central. Transport options are pretty much the same for both - shuttle, public bus, taxi or car. Walk to a public bus is about 5-10 minutes downhill from PV, but shuttles run more frequently from PV than Repulse Bay. Public bus frequency is the same as its the same public bus (although the walk to the bus stop is a bit shorter from Repulse Bay). I also find it harder at peak times to get a taxi from Repulse Bay.

Anyway, both areas are nice. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me. Have lived in both places.
    Last edited by hello_there; 27-11-2008 at 02:28 PM.

repulse bay apartments

We have 3 kids aged 7, 4 and 1 and are moving to Hong Kong in the summer. We've been through Repulse Bay on a 2 day trip but didn't see any of the accommodation there. I've been told it's good to go for one of the high rise complexes so that we meet lots of people. I like the sound of The Repulse Bay Apartments. Someone on this thread said they vary in quality. Which are the nicer ones?? Any other tips/comments??

Thanks,

Jenny

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny L:
    I like the sound of The Repulse Bay Apartments. Someone on this thread said they vary in quality. Which are the nicer ones??

Depends on what you're willing to pay, on the landlord and how they have kept up the apartment, and whether the unit has been recently rennovated, etc. Within the building there is a lot of variation in individual units. You'll have to speak to an estate agent and see what's on the market in your price range - or just take a look at some of the Hong Kong real estate web sites that have pictures of units. Typically the newly rennovated apartments can go for 20-50% more (that's what the landlords ask anyway) than the ones that haven't had work done in 10 years, but in this market prices are much more negotiable than they were 6 months ago.

Just visited PV, RB, and DB

We are planning to move to Hong Kong from San Francisco in the next 6-8 weeks. I was just in HK for a 2 day stopover and did a quick swing-by to get a feel for the neighborhoods. We are considering Disco Bay, PV and 101 Repulse Bay and I'll share some initial impressions.

I found Disco Bay very different from PV and RB. I think if you go on vacation and like to stay within an all-inclusive resort, then PV and RB would be for you. Most of the facilities are within the cluster of buildings. If you go on vacation and like to stroll around and never stay at your hotel except to sleep, then you may like Disco Bay better. I tend to be the latter, so take that into consideration as you read my comments. I did not really see many flats or houses, I mostly focused on the neighborhoods.

Disco Bay. I arrived on Sunday morning at by 11am, the plaza area next to the ferry pier was PACKED. There were lots of people and families everywhere, but not to the same density as say Causeway Bay. You got a lively buzz without feeling overwhelmed. No cars are allowed and the streets and sidewalks are very wide. There are lots of paved paths where I saw lots of runners and cyclists (the hardcore kind in jerseys and padded shorts). It felt like a master planned community from a US suburb transplanted over to HK. I did notice a few drawbacks. From the outside, you can hear the planes take off from the airport. I've been assured that you cant hear it from inside a house, but can't confirm. From the plaza, you get quite a strong whiff of exhaust odor from the ferries. Finally, the beach is an order of magnitude worse than Repulse bay. I saw some bottles and trash lying around.

ParkView. I arrived later in the afternoon at Parkview (~14:00). The facilities seem wonderful there and comparable to 101 RB and the Disco Bay resident clubs. The only real store I saw was the supermarket, everything else was just residential high rise. The Serviced Apartments seem very nice, though one of them smelled of mold and mildew. I hardly saw any people walking around within the compound, though lots of cars went to and fro. There were some people in the gym, clubs, etc, but as others have said, I wouldn't know there were so many people living there. Outside of the compound, I did see lots of people walking around Tai Tam Country Park and a few folks in the reservoir. I noticed that the sidewalks were significantly narrower and the walks significantly steeper. I have a 5 month old and pushing him around or carrying him around would be challenging. The views, however, are absolutely gorgeous and you're surrounded by greenery.

101 RB. I arrived her at around 15:30 on the same Sunday. The serviced apartment that I saw was quite nice and I think we're going to try and stay there for our first month in HK and see how we like it. The views are terrific and there were more people out and about in the courtyard with all the shops and the Wellcome. Probably due to the fact that there is outdoor seating and an atrium in the shopping complex, something PV lacks, or was not readily apparent to me. It still does have the all-inclusive compound feel like PV, but to a lesser extent. Even though the building is right next to the beach, I found it hard to actually get to the beach because of the steep steps. There was also a constant stream of traffic on Repulse Bay road. Once I got on the beach, the walk was nice, but I did see the large buses with tourists parked close by. There were lots of tourist groups walking along the beach as well. The beach itself was quite nice and I saw lots of kids and families there. The sand was absolutely gorgeous and there is a nice roped off section for swimming. The Lido shopping mall is not open yet, I dont know when it will, but that would make the area a bit more attractive to me, though I'm sure it would also draw many more tourists as well. When it came time to go back to my hotel in Wan Chai, I had lots of trouble finding a taxi (a first for me in HK). Could just be the time of day. In any case, the taxi ride was a bit long to me, given the traffic. A friend also warned me that the minibuses tend to be unsafe because they are privately owned and the drivers tend to speed as much as possible to make more trips and make more money. Not sure how true this is.

Net/net for me, across these 3 neighborhoods, Disco Bay is a strong first, followed by RB, with PV being last. I like the concept of taking our son out for casual neighborhood walks and I'm an avid runner and cycler. I do not see how I could do a 10km morning run or bike ride outdoors anywhere else other than DB. The commute to Disco bay is a bit more inconvenient and may be a little longer, but the ferry has Wifi and I can work during the ride, something I probably couldn't do in a taxi or bus.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3