Minimum Requirement to Apply Morgan Stanley, JP Morgon, etc...??!!

Closed Thread

Minimum Requirement to Apply Morgan Stanley, JP Morgon, etc...??!!

Hi all. does anyone have an idea about the minimum requirements to get in company such as morgan stanley, jp morgan, etc. in terms of GPA, working experiences as a college student? what should I put and not put on my resume? Thank you.

Regards,

Knowing how to spell the company names would be a good start!

When I'm reviewing resumes of recent grads I generally like to see a GPA of 3.5 or above. Don't think that many resumes come across my desk with GPAs of less than 3.3 or so, and I'm guessing that the HR department somehow weeds them out. Focus on GPA is much less after you have some working experience. However, until you've had a job its hard to tell how well you will perform based on anything but GPA, and a few other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammarite:
    Knowing how to spell the company names would be a good start!
    Opps... I meant JP Morgan...plz excuse my typo...

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    When I'm reviewing resumes of recent grads I generally like to see a GPA of 3.5 or above. Don't think that many resumes come across my desk with GPAs of less than 3.3 or so, and I'm guessing that the HR department somehow weeds them out. Focus on GPA is much less after you have some working experience. However, until you've had a job its hard to tell how well you will perform based on anything but GPA, and a few other factors.
    I understand that for business major, it is reasonable to ask for a min. GPA of 3.5, and that is about the avg in our business school (Hass) too. however, when you are considering other majors such as industrial engineering and operational research, mathematics, statstics, will you keep the same standard or put the difficulity of the major into consideration? Thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by wen123; 04-05-2007 at 03:29 PM.

Difficulty of the major is not a likely factor per se, but I think that our HR department has a list of GPAs for different majors at well-known universities. (I remeber being told someting about US Service Academy grads having lower GPAs, but still being strong candidates because they are graded differently.) So, your major could make a difference if the HR department going through the resumes is aware that at your university (or maybe even in general) GPAs for a certain major are lower.

Also GPA may be less of a factor depending on how bad the perceived need to fill a position with someone with a particular degree is.

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    Difficulty of the major is not a likely factor per se, but I think that our HR department has a list of GPAs for different majors at well-known universities. (I remeber being told someting about US Service Academy grads having lower GPAs, but still being strong candidates because they are graded differently.) So, your major could make a difference if the HR department going through the resumes is aware that at your university (or maybe even in general) GPAs for a certain major are lower.

Also GPA may be less of a factor depending on how bad the perceived need to fill a position with someone with a particular degree is.
    Thanks for your information. I am trying to bring up my GPA as much as I can since I did not do as well as others in my 1st 2 years due to working part-time outside of school to pay off my out-of-state tuition. I will try my best to reach a 3.5, as least in Major GPA, and hopefully I can get into one of those well-known companies.

Regards,

The GPA might get you the "right" to reach the interview process. After you need more than just your GPA....that is the harder part.