Living in Aberdeen / Ap Lei Chau

Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong Aberdeen
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by littleindian:
    anyone been to the greek restaurant 'El Greco' in Ap Lei Chau village recently? there seem to be some declining reviews on food and service??
    I've tried, not bad, the average per person expense is ~HK$250

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    23

    i don't suggest you to move to ap lei chau. ap lei chau basically a small island that has only one bridge connecting with aberdeen. you could imagine that you're gonna be stuck, either go in or come out because an accident. It happened to me one time, and i was late to work so bad. it has a high humidity with water surrounding.


  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10

    El Greco in Ap Lei Chau is gone. It has been replaced with a new restaurant called Coco Thai. It is the same owners, but new name, decorating and menu.

    I've lived in the Ap Lei Chau Main Street area for about 2 years and love it. Sweety is correct that there is only one bridge to Ap Lei Chau, but the sampan ferry to Aberdeen is very quick, cheap and frequent. In 2 years, I have only seen the bridge blocked by an accident 1 time. Bus connections to Wan Chai, Causeway Bay, Central, and the Airport are very good and frequent. The humidity is no higher than anywhere else in HK and the temperature is a few degrees cooler in summer and a few degrees warmer in winter compared with the NT. Ap Lei Chau Main Street is the old fishing village, so it is very traditional Chinese. I happen to like it that way. There are very few western faces and very little English spoken. I don't speak much Chinese, but I get along pretty well. There are also no upscale buildings in the Main Street area. The Marina Habitat building is the best, but I wouldn't really call it upscale. Shum Wan Towers are nearby, but it is too far to carry groceries. The park area along the praya is very nice and close. The entire Ap Lei Chau Main Street area is about 1 block wide and 4 blocks long and has about 16,000 residents.

    The Aberdeen harbor is a working harbor, so the boat noise at 4-5 AM can be pretty loud. I also dislike having to walk across the wet sidewalks in front of the fish restaurants that line Main street to get to my building. Overall, those are pretty small annoyances for a generally nice place.


  4. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,377

    You should try Luk Chau - nice and quiet there


  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,115

    I lived in South Horizon BLK17 for over three years and here is my comment about it

    Goodies
    1) nice club house
    2) frequent buses to CWB, Central, Island East and Kowloon.
    3) nice seaside walk
    4) comparing to post Y2K CheungKong estates, SH is one of the best from them in terms of building quality. I happened to know an interior design/reno contractor, and he told me some quite scary stories about his previous projects on flats built by CK and HWP.
    5) close to Ap Lei Chau mainstreet and wet market.
    6) MTR in 2015

    Not so good
    1) Noise. If possible, don't get any flat facing the street. Frequent buses to the downtown means there are a lot of buses going to and fro on the road and I really mean "A LOT". Phase I has another problem of fishing boat engines as well. PII and PIII facing the Lamma is the best without any noise problem.
    2) Even Ap Lei Chau is pretty close to downtown, the traveling time during rush hours is another story. I worked in TST and took the star ferry so I usually took the M590 to Central. I usually need to catch the bus at around 07:35 so that I will arrived at Harbour City at around 8:30. However, if for whatever reason that I left home 10 minutes late, I would arrived at TST pretty close to 9:00. So you do the math. By the way, the Aberdeen tunnel route is one of the worst routes to get to downtown with constant traffic jam in rush hours, weekend afternoon/evenings and racing days. Hopefully, things will get better in 2015 when the MTR south line is operational.
    3) Monthly Parking is EXPENSIVE!!!!
    4) General household items and foods are more expensive, even at the mainstreet or the wet market.


  6. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong.
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Basker25:
    El Greco in Ap Lei Chau is gone. It has been replaced with a new restaurant called Coco Thai. It is the same owners, but new name, decorating and menu.
    Correct, Al Greco is gone. Coco Thai is not exactly new, it actually just relocated from Deep Water Bay - too bad, as that was a great location and fit well with the relaxed/casual vibe. Have been once since they relocated to Ap Lei Chau and have to say the food was not up to the usual standard.
    Anyway, quite a lot of changes for the Toptables group (the owners):
    • El Greco gone - shame, thought it was alright
    • Coco Thai relocated - shame, as new location does not work as well and the food seems not as good
    • Cococabana - closed for "re-tender and renovation" (although I have been told that it will remain at the same location)


    Quote Originally Posted by Basker25:
    I've lived in the Ap Lei Chau Main Street area for about 2 years and love it. Sweety is correct that there is only one bridge to Ap Lei Chau, but the sampan ferry to Aberdeen is very quick, cheap and frequent. In 2 years, I have only seen the bridge blocked by an accident 1 time. Bus connections to Wan Chai, Causeway Bay, Central, and the Airport are very good and frequent. The humidity is no higher than anywhere else in HK and the temperature is a few degrees cooler in summer and a few degrees warmer in winter compared with the NT. Ap Lei Chau Main Street is the old fishing village, so it is very traditional Chinese. I happen to like it that way. There are very few western faces and very little English spoken. I don't speak much Chinese, but I get along pretty well. There are also no upscale buildings in the Main Street area. The Marina Habitat building is the best, but I wouldn't really call it upscale. Shum Wan Towers are nearby, but it is too far to carry groceries. The park area along the praya is very nice and close. The entire Ap Lei Chau Main Street area is about 1 block wide and 4 blocks long and has about 16,000 residents.

    The Aberdeen harbor is a working harbor, so the boat noise at 4-5 AM can be pretty loud. I also dislike having to walk across the wet sidewalks in front of the fish restaurants that line Main street to get to my building. Overall, those are pretty small annoyances for a generally nice place.
    Pretty much agree with all of that.
    Last edited by beachball; 31-03-2011 at 11:59 AM.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by beachball:
    Correct, Al Greco is gone. Coco Thai is not exactly new, it actually just relocated from Deep Water Bay - too bad, as that was a great location and fit well with the relaxed/casual vibe. Have been once since they relocated to Ap Lei Chau and have to say the food was not up to the usual standard.
    Anyway, quite a lot of changes for the Toptables group (the owners):
    • El Greco gone - shame, thought it was alright
    • Coco Thai relocated - shame, as new location does not work as well and the food seems not as good
    • Cococabana - closed for "re-tender and renovation" (although I have been told that it will remain at the same location)




    Pretty much agree with all of that.

    I ate at Coco Thai a few weeks ago and it was pretty good and authentic.

    Any other Ap Lei Chau or Aberdeen recommendations? Incl Chinese of course...

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    105

    Anybody tried the restaurant at Shum Wan Tower? Seems it's a good place for BBQ food and drinks.


  9. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by babesiu:
    Anybody tried the restaurant at Shum Wan Tower? Seems it's a good place for BBQ food and drinks.
    Having lived at SWT for 7 years, I must say the clubhouse food is excellent. Better or on par with a lot of the restaurants of there. Prices are a little more. 20% more, but the convenience of it is unbeatable.

    BBQ uses a tepanyaki style grill which is great cause food cooks much quicker. Its besides the pool but you're not allowed to access the pool with food for hygiene reasons which can be a bummer for those who want a poolside party.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    105

    The 'Physical' Gym will be opened in Aberdeen Center Phase I soon. Probably 'Pricerite' will move out.


Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2