Central Tailor

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Central Tailor

I'm looking for a reasonably priced tailor in Central for a suit and a couple shirts. I've heard good
    things about Tai Pan, Jantzen and Creative Tailor. Which offers the best workmanship? Which is
    cheaper? Which is faster? Any other tailors worth considering?

Quote Originally Posted by c1000:
    I'm looking for a reasonably priced tailor in Central for a suit and a couple shirts. I've heard good
    things about Tai Pan, Jantzen and Creative Tailor. Which offers the best workmanship? Which is
    cheaper? Which is faster? Any other tailors worth considering?
    I don't know Creative.

Taipan is the most expensive but with better quality than Jantzen.

Faster? Unless you are passing through town, it doesn't really matter. If time is important, then you can get most tailors to compress the time.

I went around to the 3 tailors today. First to Creative in the Standard Chartered Building. I've had shirts made there and was happy with the quality and service. The prices were a bit on the high side - starting at $3000+, but $4000-6000 for better fabrics, so decided to try Jantzen. Jantzen is a little shop that seemed to be in disarray, with fabrics strewn all around. They seem to have good business though - there were 4 people in there waiting to be served. I lost patience and left. Finally went to Tai Pan in Manning Centre. They have a $2800 package for a suit + 2 shirts. Generally heavier fabrics, mostly pin-striped. I paid another $800 for a better, lighter fabric. The service was very cordial and professional. However, when I left, I realized that he hadn't presented me with many options (didn't ask if I wanted double-cuffs, what type of shirt collar, pocket style, etc.). I'm going to return to clarify... should be no problem.

Finally went to Tai Pan in Manning Centre. They have a $2800 package for a suit + 2 shirts. Generally heavier fabrics, mostly pin-striped. I paid another $800 for a better, lighter fabric. The service was very cordial and professional. However, when I left, I realized that he hadn't presented me with many options (didn't ask if I wanted double-cuffs, what type of shirt collar, pocket style, etc.).
    Details and quality of the fabric directly affect the price...most of the package deals are only for certain fabrics and styles...

If you are greatly cautious of the price...almost all Kowloon-side tailors will travel to you with samples and styles and take your measurements then return for fittings all scheduled around you schedule

Plus, a majority of Central and Kowloon-side tailors do some in their own workshop and also outsource to other tailoring workshops located in the HKSAR or Shenzhen (basically, small factories manufacturing custom made suits for the middle operators)

I went around to the 3 tailors today. First to Creative in the Standard Chartered Building. I've had shirts made there and was happy with the quality and service. The prices were a bit on the high side - starting at $3000+, but $4000-6000 for better fabrics, so decided to try Jantzen. Jantzen is a little shop that seemed to be in disarray, with fabrics strewn all around. They seem to have good business though - there were 4 people in there waiting to be served. I lost patience and left. Finally went to Tai Pan in Manning Centre. They have a $2800 package for a suit + 2 shirts. Generally heavier fabrics, mostly pin-striped. I paid another $800 for a better, lighter fabric. The service was very cordial and professional. However, when I left, I realized that he hadn't presented me with many options (didn't ask if I wanted double-cuffs, what type of shirt collar, pocket style, etc.). I'm going to return to clarify... should be no problem.
    Jantzen is famous overseas and has a thriving mail order business, but quality in general is poor.

Have been very happy with the quality at Tai Pan Row (esp. for suits, slightly less so for shirts), but as you mentioned they do not ask/volunteer anything - will just do their standard thing unless you specify differently.
    Last edited by beachball; 11-10-2007 at 11:21 AM.

One reason Jantzen has a thriving business is that, unusually, their suits are kosher (and vegetarian), so they have a big orthodox Jewish customer base.

I can't tell if you're being obscurely humorous, or serious... please do elaborate...

Absolutely serious. Most tailors use an animal-derived glue to bind the interlining on suits. This is not kosher.

On further checking with colleagues I determined that another problem is the indiscriminate mixing of wool and linen in suit and lining materials. This also makes them non-kosher (for some version of kosher - strictly it makes them shatnez).

Details here: http://home.comcast.net/~shatnez/index.html

These various manifestations and consequences of different forms of The God Delusion are really quite bizarre sometimes.

Last edited by PDLM; 11-10-2007 at 03:14 PM.

Crikey, that is one of the most arbitrary prohibitions I've ever seen. Wool AND linen. Who'da thought?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast