Like Tree52Likes

MTR South Island Line - Opening on 28/12/16

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Ocean Park traffic will fill those 3 compartments easily, especially being half the price of the Citybus fare.

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy:
    Less stations compared to MOS Line.

I guess they'll monitor and increase the frequency as needed.
    but just the mainlander vistors alone during the weekdays and non china public holidays will fill the 3 compartment trains easily

which means for the first few years SIL will be worse experience than east rail during the peak milk smuggling period?
    emx and shri like this.

It's going to make getting around Southside by road so much easier for local residents. Can't wait for this thing to finally open.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    the mainlander vistors alone during the weekdays and non china public holidays will fill the 3 compartment trains easily
    Yes, but if you read into the committee minutes I had linked, someone mentioned that "one of the reasons for traffic congestion was a large number of coaches driving around the roads outside the Ocean Park when waiting for tourists" -- so assuming most of the visitors come by buses with tour guides which I don't think would affect the trains. But time will tell.

Also, interesting to note that the SCMP article didn't mentioning this:

Meanwhile, safety concerns have been raised over the driverless trains that will run along the seven-kilometre line after one went into "sleeping mode" during a trial.

From: http://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1297935-20161121.htm
    My immediate thought.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    why only 3 compartments? even the ma on shan line has 4 compartments
    Ma on shan line will soon be running with 8 cars. Trial run and changes are being made.

Similarly the south island line will start with 3 compartments and will be expanded as required.

Quote Originally Posted by shafiq:
    Ma on shan line will soon be running with 8 cars. Trial run and changes are being made.

Similarly the south island line will start with 3 compartments and will be expanded as required.
    Unfortunately not...the only expansion on SIL will be tightening the schedule and bringing trains closer together. There is no room for expanding the trains to more than 3 cars.

Quote Originally Posted by cornishbrooksy:
    Unfortunately not...the only expansion on SIL will be tightening the schedule and bringing trains closer together. There is no room for expanding the trains to more than 3 cars.
    and no driver

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    and no driver

Sweet, I'm gonna be that geek standing right by the window pretending to be the driver.

Opening Date - 28/12

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Opening Date - 28/12
    A day to avoid the South Island Line.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast