Child Care in Wan Chai

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Child Care in Wan Chai

Hi All! I am looking for child care options in Wan Chai, Happy Valley, Mid Levels, Causeway Bay, Central type area. . Unfortunately, having a live in helper or even a live out helper who will watch my son at my house isnt a viable option for us so I am trying to find an alternative. My son is two months old and his mother will be returning to work when he is about four-ish months old. I am fine to spend significantly more than it costs to have a live in helper, I just have these specific constraints. If we were in another country, day care would be plentiful and the perfect option but this doesnt seem to be as popular here. Any thoughts or recommendations would be really helpful from those with more HK experience than I!

Hi,

The social welfare department has a list of centers, don't know how complete it is but it may be a place to start. I hear you, options for daycare in other countries are more plentiful so you have an enormous task in front of you.

Good luck!

https://www.swd.gov.hk/en/index/site...id_childcares/

Oh, and the vast majority are for 2-6, but some 0-6- I have watched my coworker go through all the application procedures for the ones at 2 years old (interviews, play groups, parent applications, etc.) so for the older children, seems it is more than just sign them up, in fact, for the better places, it seems to be pretty cutthroat competition. Hopefully infants are allowed in without an "interview" but maybe a parent interview, I wouldn't rule that out.

Last edited by MABinPengChau; 24-05-2018 at 03:09 PM.

thank you for including link, I have heard there is a pretty long waiting list but I will probably apply. Ideally I would love to find like a local trustworthy grandmother but that may be wishful thinking. I am also willing to pay significantly more than what a helper would cost but it still seems I have no other options which is why I am here as a live in helper or even a helper coming to the house is not an option.

Why can’t someone come to your house? Local nannies if you speak Chinese are an option if they can come. $100-150 per hour.

Why not look for a Filipino /Indonesian dependant or spouse?

I have a dog who is special needs as he was badly abused for the first few years of his life so he does not get along very well with strangers. We have someone now who comes to the house but its just not working as she said she was a dog person but really isnt and the dog has tried to bite her. The dog is small and needs to be better trained (these are things I know and recognize) but I had no troubles with our previous part time helper who got along beautifully with the dog. At this point though, I would prefer to just find a drop off/pick up option and am willing to pay the considerable extra cost if necessary to facilitate this. If I truly cant find any other option, I am going to have to find a new person and work with them to build a relationship with the dog.

For those wondering, the dog loves the baby(sleeps under his crib, tries to protect him, etc) though we are very careful regarding exposure just to be safe. I also know I have a dog problem as it is never ok for a dog to try and bite a person but I am trying to solve one problem at a time.

You might want to ask the folks at GeoBaby:

Education

This linked to the forum chat on preschools, but probably also would talk about daycare there.

Also there is some HK Moms Facebook page, I believe.

You might find someone has started a home-based daycare situation, although I have heard HK is not too friendly when people try this sort of thing (which is fairly common in other countries).

There are some government creches that take young babies under 1 year but waitlists are very long so you'd need to quickly contact them ASAP.
    https://www.swd.gov.hk/en/index/site...id_childcares/

I think you definitely have a dog problem if you are struggling to find dog-compatible childcare for your infant...

You might find someone has started a home-based daycare situation
    Too much liability with babies for this to be done @ home.

OP - You might want to consider posting a notice in your housing estate? Might find someone - gap year student, unemployed spouse etc?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Too much liability with babies for this to be done @ home.
    Can't get insurance to cover? In the US, the most litigious society on earth, home-based daycare is quite common. But insured. Mostly.

Of course, with all the helpers in HK, I can't see that people would be motivated to do home-based care. Problem is that OP can't have someone come to his home, due to dog issues. It's a difficult situation.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast