Keep Repulse Bay Public and Open

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

There are a huge number of tourists plying that route - a small ferry with infrequent sailings (tourists don't know any better) would probably work - and if it took a few buses off the roads that might ease enough congestion to be worthwhile....

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Yes, it is unfortunate how every side spins their part of the story ...

BUT ... still a valid concern for a lot of us southsiders who use the beach and rely on the parking etc...
    That is always the problem with protest groups when it comes to city planning issues the world over.

The successful attacks are where you use their own planning guidelines and rules to point out the error of their ways. If the goal is to stop something, that group will have to use City planning rules and guidelines versus make stuff up.

Traffic in this instance might be a good point up until the time they point out that an MTR station is coming - however, it is valid to say then wait until it arrives as the rush hour traffic is terrible now. Rush hours are where this proposal has the biggest impact. They will no doubt have the traffic counts and they know the standards. Too often people argue traffic when they shouldn't. This time it might be right.

As far as the old character building - that argument is not so great if I recall the building.

Retaining public access to public space like the beach is a very good argument. Some stats on that might help.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

There is a bus service from Stanely, all along the south side via Victoria Rd, Sai Ying Poon , through the Western Harbour Crossing to Canton Rd. It runs every 10-15 minutes throoughout the day, costs almost $14 and is usually packed.
    I have used it without ever crossing the harbour, as do many others as it is usually the best way to go from A to B
    Now this route is basically what the MTR should be doing, but is not

Presumably once the MTR southside loop is completed then the next stage would be to consider a spur line to Repulse Bay / Stanley.

Actually instead of the bridge to nowhere a further link, perhaps in time for the next downturn would be a line from Sai Wan Ho to Stanely
    Draw a line on a map between the two and see how cool that would be.
    The 2nd liberation of Stanely!

Kiz

It is a bit of 'sell' but I think they were trying to say that the access to the beach will become privatised rather than the actual beach (from the image it looks like the carpark becomes another building).

I like the old building and would hate another new one like at the other end of the beach personally, but then I hardly ever go there so it doesn't affect me much

Also if you think the MTR is ever going to repulse bay or stanley you have to be dreaming... there is simply no way that would ever be financially viable...

I'm not sure I'd be against changing Repulse Bay.I think it's an eyesore as it is. Live only a few minutes away and have only been once this year. It's a completely wasted opportunity. Why can't they sort it out and get a few decent spots open on the beach where people can buy a coffee and read a paper. Perhaps putting a hotel down there will drive demand and make this sort of thing more viable.

I agree with those who suggested a ferry ride from central to repulse bay/stanley even if it only sails once an hour. Tourists would go for it and it would be a much better way to take in the beauty of that side of the island.

fm7

I'm not a fan of the government plan, but I'm not a fan of the current building either. To me it's not "charming" it's ugly and of no great historical or architectural value. If it was cool and interesting, then sure, keep it.

But, something needs to be done. Turning the place into a mall by the beach would suck, but RB is a disaster as it is.

Oh and on the ferry idea - I think it would be cool and there must be a tourist market. But, from Central it would an hour, wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz:
    Also if you think the MTR is ever going to repulse bay or stanley you have to be dreaming... there is simply no way that would ever be financially viable...
    The economics of the MTR are nothing to do with people taking trains. The MTR makes its money from the properties that they are allowed to build on top of the stations. I'm sure there is room for a shopping mall and a couple of tower blocks in each of Repulse Bay and Stanley...

there is no simple way here

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz:
    come back to this thread when you are 37 and be prepared to eat humble pie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast