Pok Fu Lam road (near HKU) to Central - Travel Time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pok Fu Lam road (near HKU) to Central - Travel Time

I am thinking of moving to Pok Fu Lam road it is near HKU. I work in Central. What is the approximate time to travel to Central in the mornings?

1) Will it be difficult to get a cab in the mornings?
    2) How long does it take for a cab to reach Central (in the mornings), how bad is the traffic?
    3) How much does it usually cost for a taxi ride to Central?
    4) How long does it take for bus/minibus to reach Central (in the mornings) and how frequent are those?
    5) Is it safe for a single lady to live in this area?
    6) Is Pok Fu Lam a convenient area to live in - food, shops, etc.

Thank you for your help!

Where abouts do you need to go to, in Central? Lots and I do mean lots of mini buses and buses that will take you there - in 15-20 mins max. Avoid the peak rush hour and you'll get there in 10-15.

Traffic can be bad if you're going through Caine Road or near IFC on the freeway / flyover.

Yes, about as safe as the rest of HK, if not safer. Pokfulam is a quiet residential area.

Food and shops? Well, you've got Belchers, Cyberport, Chi Fu all within 15 mins cab ride.

Chater House in Central, near to Mandarin Oriental Hotel. I doubt I can avoid rush hour if I am traveling to work in the mornings, will that take longer than 15 mins in a cab/bus/minibus?

Rush hour is between say 8:30 and 9... if you leave 10-15 mins earlier, you'd be surprised how easy it is to get into Central.

The mini buses I'd take from Pokfulam to Central at 8:15 would get me into Central (near Landmark) within 20 mins.

The rare times I've resorted to taking a taxi to HKU (East Gate), it's usually from Admiralty MTR (taxi stand with queues!); the trip takes 8-12mins when you request the usual "express route" via Connaught Rd West, then turn up Western St, off by Third St, final turn: Bonham Rd.

Other times, I've taken the MTR all the way to Sheung Wan, rushed out on a back street, madly trying to hail the odd passing taxi - NOT easy during rush hrs - but IF successful, takes only just 7-8mins up. Maybe faster if you're talking 'bout Pok Fu Lam Rd (near HKU's West Gate).

Cost: anywhere between $28-$38, depending on traffic, sans unexpected lorries/vans off-loading stuff, etc.

One of my female friends lived in the neighbourhood, just slopes below the uni, and within walking distance from the Kennedy Town tramline. OK, quiet - an ol' local leafy area. Perfectly safe. Lots of little mom n' pop noodle shops, cha chaan tengs - reasonably priced.

Public transport can be a nightmare. But I only know of trying to go up and from the uni via 'orrible Caine Rd and adjoining winding, choked-up paths, so-called roads... Best o' luck.

Last edited by emmie; 03-12-2008 at 06:04 PM.

Thank you.

I was there just now walked along pok fu lam road for abit, there were no restaurants or food. Only thing I saw was Pizza Box. Did not walk down the slopes though. Quite concerned if I can get any food especially at night!

Hiya Jingle - Pok Fu Lam Rd, like many others, is long.
    It runs from the tip of Bonham (HKU's East Gate) all the way past the West Gate, and on the other side, past student halls, Belcher's, sport fields, etc.

Whereabouts on PFL, are you looking to live?

Guess I was mainly talking 'bout the slopes down from the pedestrian flyover leading straight from Haking Wong Building (West Gate).

The residential clusters there are modest, OLD buildings with quiet rest/sitting-out green bits - downhill paths, cut off from the roar of traffic. And if you're stroll closer to areas off Third St, Queen's Rd West, near Whitty St, little eateries are more in sight, catering for studenty, academic or office folk - and closing up relatively early: 8-ish, when everyone's off home. If you're nearer to Shek Tong Tsui, thus 10-12mins brisk walk from the KT tramline, there's more food choices, open for longer (albeit, very local).

Groceries, etc: don't suppose you're the wet-market frequenting type ... so the small Wellcome store near Whitty St (if I recall correctly) on the tramline road, would be handy, and opens till 10.30pm. But since you work smack bang in cosmo Central, the other shinier stores 'round there would definitely stock the varied, "international" stuff (when you've an occasional craving for it).

Hope this helps, in some wee way... Wouldn't want a newbie in our lil' town malnourished in any way

Last edited by emmie; 04-12-2008 at 02:03 PM.

I'm actually looking at the Haking Wong area.. didn't walk down the stairs though so I wouldn't know about the eateries. No 7-11 in sight, how far do I walk to satisfy my night snack cravings? The same route down the stairs I suppose?

I'm living in Tin Hau now so you can imagine my despair when I see no food around pok fu lam area! lol

Was told mini bus 55 just outside the apartment (of pok fu lam rd - opposite haking wong) goes to Central, couldn't see the sign though.. finally took bus 40M and reached Central in less than 20 mins (in the night off-peak hour).

Is Westwood in walking distance?

Any DVD rental stores nearby? Really need those!

Thank you! You've been so helpful!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Who not buy food in Central? On Queen's Road Central there are PnS and Wellcome supermarkets.

And Movieland is in Lan Kwai Fong.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 04-12-2008 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jinglebells
    I'm actually looking at the Haking Wong area.. didn't walk down the stairs though so I wouldn't know about the eateries. No 7-11 in sight, how far do I walk to satisfy my night snack cravings? The same route down the stairs I suppose?

I'm living in Tin Hau now so you can imagine my despair when I see no food around pok fu lam area! lol

Was told mini bus 55 just outside the apartment (of pok fu lam rd - opposite haking wong) goes to Central, couldn't see the sign though.. finally took bus 40M and reached Central in less than 20 mins (in the night off-peak hour).

Is Westwood in walking distance?

Any DVD rental stores nearby? Really need those!

Thank you! You've been so helpful!
    Do you mean Haking wong bldg ? So you are right at the start of Pok fu lam road ?

In that case yes westwood will be a bit far. You better go back on bonham road for your snacks needs.

As for the bus 40M can be terrible on morning bonham road get really busy

You could try 91,71 or 7 who will go to central but more near IFC. maybe 4 could be an option too but not sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast