Prom dress copy

Closed Thread

Prom dress copy

I will be in Hong Kong for only 1 day on 18th July with my daughter and would like to get a copy of a Prom dress done for her.
    We have photos and her measurements and need to find someone who can design the dress from the photo and do a fitting when we arrive.
    As we don't know much about the geography of HK, we would like some help finding a reputable dressmaker who is easily accessable for us.
    Can anyone help?
    Robert

where will you be staying and what is your budget? as you've not much time if we know these details we can point you in a direction that won't waste your time

Prom Dress Copy

We're not staying anywhere as we fly in early in the morning at 7:50am and leave at 11:15pm.
    We've decided not to book into anywhere and spend the day shopping and hopefully finalising the dress.
    We don't know the layout of Hong Kong so I guess we can go wherever we have to.
    What do you suggest. We're expecting to pay up to $150-200 USD for a good quality copy.
    Robert

That strikes me as a bit optimistic on so many fronts.

There's the saying - cheap, fast and good. Pick any two, and we may be able to provide guidance.

Last edited by jgl; 14-06-2009 at 05:57 PM.

Prom Dress

We have spoken to a few dressmakers who can make a dress from a photo with measurements of my daughter.
    Only need to visit dressmaker to do final alterations.
    Need to know who is trustworthy and good as we may have to pay upfront to get the dress started.
    Robert

Hi - there's a well-known tailor in the TST area that normally does it for around $600 (but being from an int'l school that always patrons the shop, we got it down to $350). I forgot her name, but she's quite well known and it'll take about 2-3 weeks for completion. I'll ask around for you.

It might be a bit too late to post a reply however I just returned from an amazing trip to Hong Kong and in particular Shenzhen. A Hong Kong friend took me to a dressmaker in Lowu City at Shenzhen and I had over 23 items made/copied. Took her 4 days to make so make sure you have at least double-entry visas to China. The finished products are PERFECT. Her name is Miss Linda Wong and she is located at shop 5102 at Lowu City. She shares the shop with another dressmaker so make sure you ask for Miss Wong. I had a leather jacket made and it costs RMB 1000. I will definitely go back next time I visit - hopefully this Christmas.