Like Tree6Likes

Is Hong Kong dying?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Ummm no as a lot of people I know only came to HK with a specific time frame in mind, Say a 1 year stint then back home with experience and money in their pockets which is no bad thing.

Some people are here for the experience and thats it, Nothing more nothing less, Same as with myself. I plan on heading back to UK in about 18 months time myself, Not because UK is better than HK because it isn't but its because I miss my friends etc.
    Going back Jimbo? To the yob culture, and feeding the animals skanking the benefits while you are paying 50% tax? You're a saint!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ray98:
    Going back Jimbo? To the yob culture, and feeding the animals skanking the benefits while you are paying 50% tax? You're a saint!!!
    Ah I don't plan on working and paying tax in the UK though!
    I've paid enough over the years so its time to claim my money back!

Damn straight Jimbo.. it gets on my nerves the people too proud to take some of what they've worked hard to pay for.

The problem in the UK is not people taking what they have worked for, it's too many leeches that take from the system without any shame whatsoever, and then their offspring will be worse leeches.

I mean unemployed people pumping out 7-8 babies and living off the system, yobs who get paid to waste on drink and then abusing and laughing at working people who pay tax, the benefit scroungers think that being alive allows them the right to take without giving and without shame. No thanks! I can't see myself going back to that! Now compare that to Hong Kong, people perfectly elgible to claim CSSA but don't on pride, they rather collect waste paper for recycling, collect aluminium cans for recycling, work for $10/hour or less for 12 hours plus a day. Which of the two groups are more admirable?!

Yeh Ray. That side of things is so bad, I tend to try not to think about it. It's just too depressing.

The thing that really worries me is not those claiming and living from benefits right now, but the children brought up in that environment. Kids learn a lot from their parents.

I think what we've seen over the last twenty years is the end of the 'working class' as the lowest UK class, and birth of the 'non-working class'.

i work in marine expat insurance industry, it's not just in hk, macau, japan, singapore and dubai, there has been a mass exodus lately mostly due to the financial tsunami.

Couldn't be farther from the truth.
    BBC NEWS | Business | Asian cities challenge old order
    What is dying are generous expat packages.

I better clarify myself. I meant more expats leaving is better for the expats here who are wanting to find work and have recently lost their job.

fm7
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesii:
    FM7 - unfortunately this city is very much controlled by money so a downturn in the financial sector will cause a ripple.

Expats leaving is not a bad thing at all though..
    One man's ripple is another man's surf wave. For the arts, economic downturns can be creatively liberating, there's plenty of examples of that.

fm7
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    A lot of expats leaving though is through their own choice as opposed to being displaced, I've had a lot of friends leave HK in the past few months and each through their own choice bar one.
    True, I've seen the same. Though, sometimes "their own choice," also has a tinge of jump before being pushed, but not always.

However, it all comes down to why people came as well. I mean, if they came for easy money and and easy life, then found they weren't getting that, then that might be a good sign. But, if they are leaving because the air is unbreathable and the culture stifling, then it might be a bad thing.