Transport time from Stanley

Transport time from Stanley

Yes yes - another newbie question!

We are considering living in Stanley (as opposed to Mid-levels) and wanted to know:
    - how long it takes to get to Admiralty by bus in the morning (and back in the eve),
    - how long to the airport and back?
    - any other important titbits of information unknown to us now about Stanley but obvious to all experienced expats...

Thanks again in advance.

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

Admiralty? If you're considering commuting by bus, then forget it. It takes waaay to long. If you can find another route or means then my estimate would be around 30-40 minutes, depending on the traffic.

As for the airport, set aside an hour, maybe an hour and a half (at least), considering the Airport is on the Western fringe of the territory and you're on the South Eastern.

I am surprised - an estate agent in Stanley said that the 260 express takes 20 minutes.
    But perhaps he was lying...

I don't think he was lying... he just wasnt telling you the time.

Stanley is pretty hairy if you need to get in and out of there during rush hour.

If you're in HK... wander down there and take a bus.

Having said that .. its a comfortable ride and you can read the newspaper or browse GeoExpat.com if you have one of them super-duper-gprs-phones.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

Mornings 7-30-ish, a 260 express ought to be able to get you to Admiralty in 20-30 min. (After a.m. meetings at HKIS South Bay Close I've done it 5-6 times even at 8 without too much pain). Likewise on return if you work late as many in HK do - like 8pm. Or if you get out of Admiralty by 5-45 or so before the traffic soup gathers on Gloucester Rd.

Though I live halfway to Stanley and 260 isn't my route, from the few occasions I've tried to leave "early" and take the shuttle or public buses (even cabs) homewards, I know 6-15 onwards is a nightmare on Gloucester Rd or Queens Rd E - may as well sit it out till at least 7 at work or something else.

If your work permits flexi-hours, doing a 7-30 - 5/5-45 may be good options. Otherwise, with traditional 9-6, happy gprs browsing (or linguaphone or self-improvement tapes)!

P.S. another factor: road repairs on Repulse Bay Road - on that, better let someone who lives that side reply with more current info. Was a major factor 6 yrs back in our decision to live short of that otherwise picturesque road (line-ups even worse mid-morning till afternoon on week-ends).