Which area? - Midlevel, Pokfulam or Happy V

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Which area? - Midlevel, Pokfulam or Happy V

Need help... I've been doing loads of research - checking apts and reading messages but I'm still confused which area would be best for me to live in.

I'm moving in Feb. I'm on my own - will be working near Admiralty MTR and (of course) want the most for my money. Looking to spend no more than $25k on rent. Don't want a huge commute. Want to be where other young, couples/ single expats are but hopefully with the respite of balcony with a view.

Know this ultimately has to be a personal decision and based on lots of traipsing around but interested to hear what people already living in Hk think.

Thanks a million..

For the commute and convenience as a single expat I would definitely go for somewhere within a couple of hundred metres of the Central escalator, preferably near Robinson for you because all the buses go down Robinson to Admiralty. That way you are in walking distance of Lan Kwai Fong and SoHo, and have a good selection of shops and restaurants around.

But at the moment I think you'd be struglling to get a balcony and a view in that area for $25K. Having been here a few years I reckon now that I get enough of the view from the office, travelling around etc, but it was nice to have when I first came here.

For me Pokfulam is familys with kids, not somewhere for single people. But if the balcony with the view is more important to you than a much longer commute and the inability to walk to the main nightlife districts then it would be worth a look.

Happy Valley I don't really know - good for transport, near shopping, but a little away from the expat nightlife areas. Not sure about prices.

Thanks PDLM.

Think you've more or less confirmed what I'd been thinking. Midlevels does seem to be 'the' place to be for new single arrivals!

A HK colleague thinks a fair number of single expats live in Happy Valley but looking at apartments they don't look much different to those available in mid levels in terms of facilites and view etc.

Back to the research.... Anyone out there living in a FAB apartment in midlevels? Promise not to stalk you if I end up moving in....

definately mid-levels if you will be working in central.. and i live in mid-levels.. pay $14k a month for a 3 bedroom - 1000 sqft apartment that is nice on the inside but old on the outside... for $25k you will have no problem at all finding a nice place! good lucjk

oh and happy valley is the new expat hang out place it has become very trendy place in the last few years, very popular with young, single expats. This though has pushed up prices and reduced availibility of places. Although again with a 25k budget you will have no problem what so ever finding a place there. I still think mid-levels will suit you better what with the 10 min walk to work!

I have the same problem definitely a bigger one coz my rental budget is significantly lower than ac83969's.

I'm looking at ard 12k per month, studio or 1 bedroom sufficient.. Size aint much of a problem but hopefully there will be room for more wardrobe space or i'll consider paying a little more to get 2 rooms and convert 1 into my wardrobe.

I'm pretty particular about the bathrooms/toilets thou.. Realise most houses (from the pics i see in hongkonghomes.com and gohome.com.hk) have pretty crammed toilets. I would like something with a proper (enclosed) shower area (bathtubs not necessary) & a large table top by the sink area.

My office's gona be at Admiralty so preferably central, wanchai, midlevels, or even kennedy town? Are all these places convenient enough for walking(to avoid the morning jams) or mini-buses ride?

I'm gona be living alone & would prefer a less run-down (long dark corridors are really big nonos) place coz i am sure i'll have to work late pretty often. Aint very keen to be going home every day to a "haunted" building.

So folks, any particular estates to recommend?

Comments and info will be greatly appreciated!

go look at places.. i found somewhere without tooo much hassel and my budget was 5k!! so it can be done! just keep looking.. call up agents.. go see places.. no harm

My place in Kennedy town got balcony and view, you can def get a place around 800 sqf for around 15000 in Merton apartments in Kennedy town, no MTR but plenty of busess and mini bus to go Central

It only takes about 20 - 25 minutes in the morning by bus

The area has shopping malls and many diff shops and it's by the sea so you can have a choicie of moutain view or sea view or may be both, def worth checking out

The area is more convenient than Pok Ful Lam and Happy Valley; Mid Levels is closer but it's actually not convenient for you cos most ppl can walk to central and that's why they want to live in Midllevel but you work in Admiralty so

I just arrived in HK too and have been looking aruond a lot, I think Merton apartments are the best ones I have seen so far; I hate old apartments

For what it's worth....I vote mid-levels area too.

We had same requirements, wanting view and a balcony, close to the action so we could walk etc etc

We chose Cherry Crest - sea and park and building view, balcony, new buidling, pool, sauna, small gym. If any apartments are still available then they go from approx 21,000-30,000. It's more Soho than midlevels, in between Caine Rd and Staunton st and faces a park where people do tai-ch and some basketball courts. Nice outlook.

The other place we thought was OK with the same thing (balc, pool and view) was Scenecliff (I think that's what it was called) on Conduit road, facing the mountain so your view is just trees and mountain, but nice to look at that rather than buidlings. Had a small balcony, pool, tennis court.

Best of luck with your search.

Talking How to get Hong Kong Dollarsaver in Hong Kong?

Hello, How can I get this magazine by post?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast