MOving to hong kong and and living in discovery bay

Closed Thread

Smile MOving to hong kong and and living in discovery bay

HI, My husband has been offered a job in central hong kong, we are looking at Discovery bay as a place to live, we can pay upto 40,000 HKD for a place will this be enough for a 3 or 4 bedroomed place????

I have 3 children, 2 are of school age, is there a good school in discovery bay? I know they are building an ESF when will that be open?

What's the commute like?

We live in Manly Australia at the moment and my house is 2 minutes from the beach, do you think discovery bay would suit are lifestyle? Have looked at the southside of hong kong island, not sure if we can afford to live there.
    What are the New territories like and how long is the commute?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Rebecca

Your budget is certainly enough for a 3-4 bedroom place with a terrace or a little garden.
    Commute by ferry is about 25min to Central. There are buses to Tung Chung and Sunny Bay MTR as well as to the airport.
    Have a look at www.gohome.com.hk to see what's available and an idea about rents. To get a better idea about the phases and villages have a look at
    http://www.discoverybay.com.hk/en/ab...ractivemap.htm
    Phase 1 (Beach Village), parts of Phase 3, Phase 7 (La Vista) and Phase 8 (La Costa) and the Plaza apartments are within walking distance to the ferry pier. For the other Phases you need to go by bus.
    There is an international school in DB, construction for the ESF school has just started - sorry, can't be more helpful about the school issue...

I think the ESF school will be ready for the 2008 intake (September).

Red face Onda and Costa Court

Does anyone live in Onda or Costa Court? Is it a quiet place? Seems like a great location: close to plaza and ferry. I checked out a flat on 19th floor with outstanding view of Hong Kong (on a clear day). Any comments or suggestions?

Some friends of mine live there. The 2-bed room flats are rather nice apart from the sorry excuse of a "balcony" measuring 90cm X 90cm...
    It is quiet with very little noise from the ferries.

Quote Originally Posted by redwriter:
    Does anyone live in Onda or Costa Court? Is it a quiet place? Seems like a great location: close to plaza and ferry. I checked out a flat on 19th floor with outstanding view of Hong Kong (on a clear day). Any comments or suggestions?
    Were those the duplex flats at 1800 sq.ft?

Quote Originally Posted by redwriter:
    yes im in costa court, great views , very quite it seems like the building is half empty .. never hear anything from the neighbours apart from one saturday when the guy above appeared to be doing some lethargic DIY ... but sporadic banging noiceswas not much of a problem

to the OP yes i think Discovery Bay will perfect for your needs...

one thing tho ,,, i think the waiting list to get into the schools might present a problem... haven't got kids myself but heard its quite difficult ... maybe some of the other poster might be able to give you more details ..

alternatively you could check out tung chung for schooling

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I will be taking the flat on 19th floor. Great view. About the balcony, I would never enjoy sitting out that high up. Also looked at a first floor flat at Celestial Mansion, but the neighbor had a huge dog which I would not want around. Barking dogs are a real pain.