Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Fiona in HKG
  • 3 Post By Paxbritannia
  • 1 Post By Rayzilla

Ice Rink in DB

Closed Thread

Ice Rink in DB

Ice rink planned for Discovery Bay - Around DB

Well the rumours have been confirmed......
    jrkob, East_coast, MandM! and 1 others like this.

Will be a good addition when complete.

East_coast, MandM! and hullexile like this.

Why an ice rink? Multimillion-dollar plan for Discovery Bay labelled ‘very strange’  | South China Morning Post
    “On one side people are very upset because more than 100 golf cart parking spaces have been demolished without any proper replacement. We are running out of these parking areas”
    “I’m more than excited. I grew up in Montreal as a rink rat and spent most of my time at the arena. I would be delighted to have an ice rink near my office in Discovery Bay.”

Waste of elecricity

It's not that we don't have enough environmental issues already, let's waste more electricity for waste heat. Great.

For sure they could have found something better. What's next, a ski slope?

I love how the article reads without ANYONE addressing the obvious point -- why should there be ice in Hong Kong?!?! It's as if it's some sort of given human right, like water, to have access to ice, and thus a necessity that we meet more demands and make a more fair economy so everyone has better access to ... ice! In Hong Kong. More ice. In Hong Kong.

Winchester said the facility would make it more affordable for children to take up ice hockey.
    Helping children have better access to ice hockey in Hong Kong is just what children need!

With Arabella Ng the sole Hongkonger to compete at the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics, ice sports need all the help they can get to hold their own in the sporting landscape.
    Duh, because it's not a winter city! Why does a hot, tropical climate geographical area need to be a part of winter sports competitions? At the expense of precious space...

Doesn't Dubai have an indoor ski slope? We should totally get in on that.

The rink is open now and apparently it is operating successfully.

Personally, I've been on the ice for hockey games every Thursday nights for the last three weeks and ongoing. Leagues will start up in late September early October.

shri likes this.