Like Tree5Likes

Hainan chicken

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

In Sheung Wan on Queen's Road West near the Queen's Terrace are two most famous Chew Chou restaurants in Hong Kong, so they say. They do have Hainan style chicken but with the extra greasiness and strong flavor of Chew Chou dishes. Worth a try- but I can't take it everyday, food there is too oily and greasy and there're about 50000 calories in one dish ;p

Quote Originally Posted by kittyctc:
    In Sheung Wan on Queen's Road West near the Queen's Terrace are two most famous Chew Chou restaurants in Hong Kong, so they say. They do have Hainan style chicken but with the extra greasiness and strong flavor of Chew Chou dishes. Worth a try- but I can't take it everyday, food there is too oily and greasy and there're about 50000 calories in one dish ;p
    That would be the famous Sheung Hing restaurant. Great food, but not exactly Hainanese chicken rice - quite different in fact.

boneless Hainan Chicken Rice exists. Most Singaporean food places serve it that way.

What kind of sauce coming along?
    My favorite Tsui Wah serves different sauce at different location.

Quote Originally Posted by gaspard:
    boneless Hainan Chicken Rice exists. Most Singaporean food places serve it that way.
    Wow. I hardly every slam people on this forum, but I have seen almost no posts from you that are not trite one-liners and almost inevitably repeating what other people have stated before.

Quote Originally Posted by beachball:
    It depends - and even the places that normally serve with bones tend to be perfectly willing to leave them out if requested. Same for the roast goose places.

On a side note, in Singapore (the Hainanese chicken rice 'capital') and Malaysia the dish is normally served without bones.

Quote Originally Posted by Renotommy:

My guess is that you and DrumBrake probably prefer dark meat over white meat (breast) in chicken. I do also. Do you guys prefer the Chinese free ranch chickens or regular chickens? My nieces and nephews who are raised in the USA refuse to eat the Chinese free ranch chickens because they do taste different from chickens that are brought from supermarkets.

I don't know how true it is but I was told that it was the marrow in the bone which made the bone-in chicken tastier. I am not a cook so any input?
    "boneless" chicken rice in Singapore doesn't necessarily mean white meat all the time - it usually means the hawker debones the chicken before chopping it up and plating it. You could also get the dark meat deboned.

Marrow does add a different flavour in cooking, but in this case, the chicken is poached whole, so any difference is more in terms of texture and how well a particular part absorbs flavour, methinks? If you're cooking something like chicken curry with only white meat for e.g., the taste would be weaker. A substitute for marrow which some Malay cooks do is to use chicken livers when they fry the spice and meat together.

Quote Originally Posted by eurourouro:
    What kind of sauce coming along?
    My favorite Tsui Wah serves different sauce at different location.
    In Singapore, you get a grated ginger mixed with a bit of chicken stock and oil, a chilli-vinegar sauce, and a dark soy sauce that is thicker than the kind found here.

In Malaysia, the chilli sauce sometimes has lime bits in it, sans vinegar, and may have shrimp paste worked into the sauce too, if the cook has been influenced by the local Malay cooking.

... I think I've just succeeded in making myself hungry.
    Renotommy likes this.

check out this recipe and video. Its very good if you have free time on the weekend to bang it out yourself.

sbs.com.au/food/foodsafarirecipe/index/id/127/n/Hainanese_chicken_rice
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the recipe! I basically love cooking but not yet used to cook a whole chicken...

I'll check out some places suggested here.

haiyan shaoye in CWB world trade!!

I just passed 'haiyan shaoye' today by chance. Long queue to get in. This means they're good, I guess. It's one of easy place to reach from Central.