NOW tv

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NOW tv

Does anybody know anything about NOW tv? How is the system? Do they have a lot of US/UK Shows? Will be moving to HK from Canada within and don't want to give up my favorite shows lol

NOW TV is debated at length in various threads here. You can find the programme schedules at http://www.nowbroadbandtv.com

But most people here in your position tend to download stolen copies of the shows. Hong Kong only prosecutes a few people each year for this, and the fines are only a few thousand dollars (no jail time has yet been given, although the law allows for it) so the risk is low.

PDLM : err ... check US / UK copyright laws about TV shows before you get all judgemental.

If Canadian cable is like US cable you will be disappointed by what HK has to offer.
    Delivery is mediocre with occassional hiccups and action scenes or scenes with multiple moving objects will pixelate.
    Then there is the out-of-sync audio and video which I notice happens atleast once a week during a movie that I want to watch.
    On-screen information is very limited, very slow and can not overlay the picture.
    The decoders are often flash-updated over the network causing it to stop displaying a signal - great if you wanted to record something while you were out.
    You can't even set the decoders to come on at a pre-determined time or change channels - something which you could do with the old analogue units. Heck there isn't even a 'back' button on the remote to return to the last viewed channel!
    But as you're from North America you should like the programming which is mostly from your part of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    Delivery is mediocre with occassional hiccups and action scenes or scenes with multiple moving objects will pixelate.
    This is not normal - it's a faulty line. Keep nagging at PCCW until they fix it. If you watch sports events in bars you will very very rarely see the pixellation effect (and the ones I know report it as a fault if they ever see it) so when it's properly configured it's fine.

Done that (twice). The 'engineer' said that's to be expected when he switched over to some football action and saw the pixelation.

Well it isn't - so keep insisting that they send someone out until it's fixed. In my case enough people in the building complained that they eventually replaced the worn out cable with a nice new fibre direct to the building, and everything is fine now.

OK I might do that when I get a spare evening when I don't mind some sweaty sub-contractor disturbing my family during dinner.
    My building has 52 floors each with 8 units so what would you say constitutes 'enough people'?

Thanks for the info! Is NOW the only option for Satellite in HK or are there other choices?

NOW is not "satellite" it's fed over your broadband connection.

The other choice is CableTV http://www.cabletv.com.hk but they ahve a diminishing amount of English langauge content and nothing much that is exclusive except the english Premier League soccer, and they will likely lose that soon.

There are no legal satellite broadcast feeds in Hong Kong.

Last edited by PDLM; 25-09-2006 at 11:53 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast