Like Tree2Likes

Vinyl Records (LPs) in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Are these addresses still up-to-date?

Hi, I just stumbled on this old thread - are the market and shop addresses still up-to-date after four years? I'll be in HK this summer (June) and am looking mainly for 1960-1970s Chinese music on vinyl, also Chinese 78rpm (shellac / gramophone) records. Would appreciate an update on the shop info very much, as I won't have much time to spend looking for shops that closed years ago... Thanks!

The one on Cochrane Street in Central is certainly still there. "Better Sounds" or something?

Last edited by bookblogger; 23-02-2010 at 06:26 AM.
    chrisz78 likes this.

Post Is it safe to bring vinyl to Hong Kong?

Hi, I've been watching this thread with interest as I'm relocating next year and have a big vinyl collection. Is the climate safe for vinyl or will it get mouldy in the humidity. Maybe HK is not that tropical and I'm worrying unnecessarily? My collection is worth thousands though (I'm a serious vinyl nut!).

Thanks

Si

Where'd my post go?

Sham shui po market
    Take MTR and hit Apliu Street exit, take a right and walk along the electronics market. or walk up and down that street. there's a couple of alley ways/ old geezers that sell 70s/80s stuff for 10HK$
    amazing electronics market, where you can also finde audiophile gear, tube amps, studio monitors etc.(i.e. old Lansing JBL stuff, Altec, Klipsch etc)

Prince Edward MTR station head for Nathan Road exit, then enter the shopping arcade I think you can enter from both ends when you come out of the MTR...go to the 2nd floor... here you'll find some vintage shops and one record store that has good quality vinyl.

There are 2 more 2nd hand vinyl shops in Mong Kok, but you'd better be off asking the shop assistand to write the shop names down in chinese for you.

The biggest warehouse is (I hope it's still there ) on HK island
    between queens road and des veux road central = queen victoria street, I can't remember the building's name, but it's a relatively short street... right next to all the shops you find that you can walk into the buildings (I think it's the one in the middle of the street), sorry for being a bit vague here, BUT walk up to the 1st floor of the building and you're in...

this is HK, where you can find everything, but you gotta walk up and down the streets look, be persistent and you'll find...it's fun, too!

good luck!

Anyone knows where I can buy electro records in Hong Kong? Dnb, hip-hop, techno, electro, etc. There are many record stores in Hong Kong but they sell mostly old stuffs prior to the 90's. Is there a store that sells new stuffs, does such a store even exist in HK?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by techfetish; 28-05-2010 at 03:54 PM.

Great vinyl selections!

A place found with a great selection of LP vinyls of different music. Prices are OK and the surrounding atmosphere is relaxing and creates buying mood! Vinyls lovers must pay a visit - Miramar Shopping Arcade, Basement, TST.

Quote Originally Posted by youngman:
    A place found with a great selection of LP vinyls of different music. Prices are OK and the surrounding atmosphere is relaxing and creates buying mood! Vinyls lovers must pay a visit - Miramar Shopping Arcade, Basement, TST.
    Any idea what the name is and what they stock (new/used, rock/jazz/classical)

Also, do they sell blank '8 Track' cartridges?

I'd love to have some tunes for when I'm driving

bookblogger likes this.

Been there twice but don't remember the shop name. They sell new vinyls of rock, jazz, classical & a little of pop.

Last edited by youngman; 14-10-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by youngman:
    Been there twice but don't remember the shop name. They sell new vinyls of rock, jazz, classical & a little of pop.
    Thanks! will check it out this weekend