Borat in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Borat in Hong Kong

heard so much about Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan. would like to watch it.. anyone know when/where it will show in hk? or is that a real far fetch?

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Bcloafmbgnok cometh in one hundered and one days only.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443453/releaseinfo

why so late? i saw it in the UK weeks ago!

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

while we await the arrival

By David Brooks-NY times

But of course the crowning glory of the current moment is the Borat movie, an explosively funny rube-baiting session orchestrated by a hilarious bully.
    The genius of Sacha Baron Cohen’s performance is his sycophantic reverence for his audience, his refusal to challenge the sacred cows of the educated bourgeoisie. During the movie, Borat ridicules Pentecostals, gun owners, car dealers, hicks, humourless feminists, the Southern gentry, Southern frat boys and rodeo cowboys. A safer list is impossible to imagine.
    Cohen understands that when you are telling socially insecure audiences they are superior to their fellow citizens there is no need to be subtle. He also understands that any hint of actually questioning the cultural suppositions of his ticket-buyers — say by ridiculing the pretensions of somebody at a Starbucks or a Whole Foods Market — would fatally mar the self-congratulatory aura of the enterprise.
    Cohen also knows how to rig an unfair fight, and to then wring maximum humiliation and humour out of each situation. The core of his movie is that he and his audience know he is playing a role, and this gives him, and them, power over the less-sophisticated stooges who don’t. The world becomes divided between the club of those who are in on the joke and the excluded rubes who aren’t. The more tolerant the simpletons try to be toward Borat, the more he drags them into the realm of anti-Semitism and vileness. The more hospitable they try to be, the dumber they appear for not understanding the situation.
    In a society as fluid as ours, snobbery is constantly changing form, and in the latest wave of condescension media, various strains come together. We Jews know all about Borat’s Jewish snobbery — based on the assumption that Middle America’s acceptance of Jews must be a mirage, and that underneath every Rotarian there must be a Cossack about to unleash a continental pogrom.

The heyday of snobbery can be read for free here..... http://talk.ocregister.com/showthread.php?t=24151

uh huh. i was in germany last week and some folks asked if i watched borat. i said no, cuz i missed the opening in canada. they gave me the it's so good, so many social implications, must see movie of the year. so i gotta watch it
    but i can see how locals arent going to get it

Why staggered

Does anybody know the reasoning behind these staggered release dates. I wanted to watch James Bond, but that won't reach HK until December 21st, which is only going to have me reaching for a freebie on the internet.

What a load of crap the stuff above is. Cohen has taken the piss out of everyone for years in the UK, it is standard UK humour and nothing to do with Jewish snobbery.

I saw it a few weeks ago in London. The movie isn't very long. It is funny, but much the same as watching past Borat sketches on TV (many of these are available on Youtube). In fact, the Making Of Borat program I watched on MTV Europe was about the same viewing experience as the movie itself. I'm a bit disturbed by some of the allegations that poor Romanian villagers were duped into appearing in the film, believing it to be a documentary about their hardship.

Quote Originally Posted by grandcider:
    I saw it a few weeks ago in London. The movie isn't very long. It is funny, but much the same as watching past Borat sketches on TV (many of these are available on Youtube). In fact, the Making Of Borat program I watched on MTV Europe was about the same viewing experience as the movie itself. I'm a bit disturbed by some of the allegations that poor Romanian villagers were duped into appearing in the film, believing it to be a documentary about their hardship.
    for sure, after watching 3 borat clips on youtube u get the idea. i wasnt planning to watch it, but those folks claimed that the movie is way more than just a stupid uk comedy. i do feel that those villagers (romanians are they?) who dont speak english probably have no idea that they're being made fun of on a holllywood flick, i really protest against that

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

How about the allegations that Borat was 'inspired' by this guy?....

www.ikissyou.org

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast