HK Music Scene & Concerts

Closed Thread

HK Music Scene & Concerts

This isn't a new topic.

From my recent listening experience in different venues, including those places provide music break, I think the reason why the international influential bands/artists don't come to HK for concert is because the market is too small.

The expense on everything is relatively high compare to other international cities. So the organizers would rather choose Singapore or even Tokyo. ROI is everything in the end.

The only really healthy non-pop scene in Hong Kong is post-rock. Thankfully I love post-rock pg.lost and Ovum next weekend, toe a couple of weeks later, Caspian a few weeks ago, wooooohoooo

sorry for necro

meth, i'm necro'ing this thread. are you aware of any upcoming post-rock shows in hk? i'm here for a couple of months and am a huge fan as well. mono, do make say think, godspeed, red sparrowes, yndi halda, 65dos etc.

Unfortunately nothing on coming up anytime soon toe was here a month or so ago but since then it has been mostly punk, metal and folk type stuff. CocoRosie are here on 21st of January though if you like them.

Mono seems to come to HK every year, been here 9 months, so hoping they will come again soonish. Also wanting to see Wang Wen from China sometime, but they haven't visited here for a while either.

Pet Conspiracy are playing at the start of Jan if you like that electro thing as well:
    Hidden Agenda » Pet Conspiracy 寵物同謀 Live in Hong Kong

That website are the group that generally promote and hold the post-rock events, but I also went to gigs put on at a place called The Hangout but I don't know who put them on.

Quote Originally Posted by korchor:
    meth, i'm necro'ing this thread. are you aware of any upcoming post-rock shows in hk? i'm here for a couple of months and am a huge fan as well. mono, do make say think, godspeed, red sparrowes, yndi halda, 65dos etc.
    Ah, I was beginning to give up on hearing any decent music here! I had to miss the Godspeed ATP last weekend I had planned for a year because of moving to HK a few weeks ago....didn't see them live first time round so was pretty gutted about missing them.

Any more post-rock gigs come up, drop me a message please!

Are there any good sites for finding gigs? Last.fm doesn't seem to be as widely used as I'd hoped....

It is best just to add people on facebook tbh (like Hidden Agenda), most of the events I find out about first on there and maybe someone will put them up on Time Out Hong Kong – Discover Things To Do in Hong Kong if the band has a bit of a profile. I would definitely check out Fragile (local post-rock band) if you get a chance.

Yndi Halda has played HK before, I hope sometime they actually do make a second album and come over again. Goddamn I would kill to see GY!BE live wish they would come over as an extension to their tour. Still waiting for 惘闻 and Mono >.<

Also consider joining The underground's mailing list (The Underground » Home 主页) as they list out all the indie (rock/pop/punk/heavy/alternative) shows that happen in all corners of Hong Kong.

Kudos to all the live events promoters that DO exist in Hong kong!