High/afternoon tea queries

Closed Thread

Smile High/afternoon tea queries

Hi, I have my brother and sister-in-law coming to visit soon. I'd love to book them in for high tea in either the Pennisula Hotel or perhaps the Verandah at Repulse Bay Hotel.

What are your experiences of this? Also, what cost is it for 2 people? Can I get a pre-paid voucher for them to go when it suits them?

Any help appreciated! xx

Both of them are run by the Peninsula group and are top notch.

The Peninsula hotel high tea is a bit overrated. Bit of a tourist ghetto attraction ....

http://www.peninsula.com/gift_certificates.html

Clipper Lounge at the Mandarin Oriental is my best bet for afternoon tea. They have tea for two (on one of those classy 3 tiered stands - yay!) for under HKD400 (for both ppl), coffee/tea incl and bottomless Smokers get horrible seats in the corridor though. If you're booking, try and get them to reserve a window seat.

Tea at the Pen. is overrated (scones are dry EVERY time I go there. Myabe it's just my luck...), plus on weekends you have to line up. Totally degrades them and the whole tea-ing event IMO...

Not sure about vouchers, sorry - check their websites.

Eat Drink : hope its improved from the last time I went there (about three or four years ago..) was a bit disappointed with the fare ... considering the world class hype.

Heard they've changed the carpeting .. must take wander through there one of these days.

The good lady and some friends went to the Four Seasons for tea and were impressed.

She took our 3 and a half month old with her and when he started to grumble the pianist started playing lullabies and he went straight back to sleep- nice touch and quieter for everyone else in there!

Last edited by Lammarite; 06-12-2006 at 08:31 AM.

KIA: The afternoon tea is very decent, but a bit pricey for the amount of food they give you. A la carte menu varies - mains are average, desserts are pretty good.

Four Seasons is a good choice too. I love their savoury tidbits in the afternoon tea (providing they haven't changed anything, there's a mini choux pastry filled with crab meat which is excellent), the sweet things (boring mini fruit tarts with pastry cases too dry, thick and floury?) and the scones are a huge disappointment though. Portions at the FS are also larger than at MO. Don't really like the idea of the piano though, coz the seating area isn't large and the piano looks sort of squeezed in, and every time I'm there it seems a bit loud too... One more thing about tea at the FS - if I remember correctly, tea is included, but not coffee, which I reckon is just weird...

>> tea is included, but not coffee, which I reckon is just weird...

Probably scamming those who're in awe of this British tradition... "But sir .. it says high tea, not high coffee".