Has anyone tried Zest or Wagyu?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

have eaten at Wagyu a number of times now and was there again on Saturday. Our table was a bit late coming free as we were a big group so while we waited outside the manager sent us out a bottle of Veuve and some tuna, beef and lamb nibbles to tide us over. He didn't have to do it as he was being very good to squeeze us in anyway but it was very much apprecaited by everyone there. This is the kind of thing that will keep me going back along with the top notch food and buzzy atmosphere

i tried to post a critical review of wagyu and the forum manager has deleted it. what kind of forum does not allow people to post their opinions just because it doesn't agree with the Resident Peacekeepers?!?!?

I decided to try this restaurant as I had visitors from out of town who were craving steak... Unfortunately, I chose to bring them to Wagyu. I made the reservation a couple of days in advance for Friday at half past 8. We arrived there at 25 minutes past 8 and were kept waiting for over 20 minutes. The service at wagyu is TERRIBLE. When we checked on our table the extremely rude maitre d gave us updates on the diners who were 'holding back' the table — they are having dessert, they are going to the ladies etc etc. Not very appetising pre-dinner converstation. Just when you think it doesn't get any worse, he told us that ‘if you eat out often you will know its usual to wait for a table’ and 'you can go somewhere else if you like'. Terrible terrible terrible service! The WORST I have had in HK. I am definitely not coming back here again and I recommend people to STAY AWAY!

Dude .. you searched google for "Wagyu" found us .. and had your say. Now crawl back into your corner and find the next 20 sites for your vitriol.

I'll let ONE "review" remain .. this one.

My problem with such rants is ... well ok, we don't know if you're a competitor and we don't know if you're even a real customer of the business. I'd bet you would not be able to provide me a receipt for the dinner which you claim went bad.

All I can see is you signed up an hour ago with an anonymous email address and you expect US to take your esteemed opinion seriously?

I'll let the readers decide this time around ... who would they take seriously someone who has been visiting this site often and contributed several opinions or someone who just signed up, slammed the customer service with an anonymous email / user name and went away to never come back.

Last edited by KnowItAll; 26-10-2007 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    There's a new restaurant across from Waggu called Tivo. Anyone tried it?
    Entropyfan took me to Wagyu for my birthday. it was great - prices for their non-wagyu beef dishes were suprisingly reasonable and good. The wagyu beef was very good as well.

Also had Tivo. Came away unimpressed - food was bland and way overpriced for the quantity and quality.

The best Wagyu is at Reflexion .. 12th or 11 floor of Sogo in Causeway Bay. Really good chef and a good friend.

http://www.reflexion.com.hk/

I haven't been to Wagyu but have been to Zest a number of times over the last few months. I think it's one of the better restaurants on Wyndham Street. Although not cheap it's well worth a visit. Frog Face Fish is another one that you should try. It's more expensive than Zest but the food was good. Lunch is cheaper at HK$130+ for three courses. Definitely one of the best lunch menus I've had for a while.

Hi,

Would just like to say that Al Tiley, a shareholder of Wagyu emailed me to follow-up on the poor service I received at the restaurant. Thats really great of him and definitely changes my opinion of the service there. Not many restaurant owners would bother to do this!

Thanks Al and thanks to the forum for highlighting this!

glad to see that al tiley has a change in heart regarding bad service since he's the one who told me "don't come back again." wish i could change my negative review...

Had dinner at Wagyu a few weeks ago with another couple and have to say that we enjoyed the food and service there. Loved it!

The last and only time I've been to Zest was last NYE - and boy were we sorely disappointed. The soup came cold (no it wasn't a gazpacho), the tartare came soggy and stringy, and everything tasted bland in general. Needless to say, the meal did dampen our holiday spirit quite a bit.

As for Wagyu, only been to their "bar" once. The service there did seem bit off-ish.

I personally do not like Frog Face Fish, if only because everything there was overly salted.

PS there ARE restaurants which I like or even love in HK, even though my comments above all seem bit negative...