Non Smoking Bars...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

>> Half assed smoking ban basically.
    >> could we go to a non-smoking one this time

Give the masses a taste of the good life and they want more ... No wonder the Brits chose not to bring this whole democracy nonsense into the territory ..

Complain to your elected representatives ..

Quote Originally Posted by goodkarma:
    I feel pretty stupid that I did not know abt the partial ban. It seems so strange that either I missed a lot of text in the SCMP or it was kept quiet?
    The first time I ever saw this list was when PDLM posted it.

Half assed smoking ban basically.

I don't feel it is half assed, I remember when they first talked about it and decided on it. It has always been a phased thing. Just because they plan to do it in phases doesn't mean it is half assed.

Can you imagine if they try to ban it all at once? The Department of Health Tobacco Control Department needs to get used to monitoring parks and restaurants before it can take on so much. Esp drunken bars.

Chigger : you don't get it ... it sort of shows us where people's priorities are.

Democracy being phased in -- the natives are not ready for it, so it can be justified.

Smoking ban being phased in -- its half arsed ..

Go figure.

Its the first time the masses have been given an inch and now they want a the whole nine yards, ... 20 posts on a happy hour thread about smoking bans.... jeez folks, if you don't want to go to the Dublin Jack .. DONT.. stop bitching and take the initiative the next time around to book a table at a non smoking place and I'll be more than happy to make your thread the official happy hour thread.

Last edited by KnowItAll; 05-01-2007 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheli:
    For those interested Dublin Jacks is and has been for some time a non-smoking bar.
    Er, no. In its old location DJ did indeed go smoke-free. However, after they reopened in the new location they again allowed smoking, which was rather disappointing given how much fuss they made about going non-smoking in the first place.

I'm very disappointed to see that so many bars got exemptions from the smoking ban, which might disproportionately hurt business at those bars that did go along with the ban. As a non-smoker (most of the time) I prefer non-smoking bars over smoking bars and since I did not find DJ on the list of exempted places, which was posted by PDLM (thanks, very useful!), I will happily join you guys there for HH tonight.

Last edited by texasaxel; 05-01-2007 at 10:54 AM.

I am very happy that you can still light up in bars (although not being able to smoke in restaurants will be a painful adjustment).

The ban will never work in HK (as like in most other countries) - there aren't enough public resources to enforce and it will be up to the owner/manager to enforce... they will fear losing business.

Quote Originally Posted by expat sam:
    The ban will never work in HK (as like in most other countries) - there aren't enough public resources to enforce and it will be up to the owner/manager to enforce... they will fear losing business.
    Well, based on 4 days experience so far I haven't come across any trouble from anyone trying to smoke in a non-smoking bar? Has anyone else seen any problems at all with compliance with the law?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Well, based on 4 days experience so far I haven't come across any trouble from anyone trying to smoke in a non-smoking bar? Has anyone else seen any problems at all with compliance with the law?

Nope none. But the Asian's I have met are pretty good at following the rules.

I guess places whose only business is booze (read 'not food') n that do not allow entry to people below 18 are allowed an exemption until 2009. Thats the official version but there are so many loop holes in the law... so if the management wishes, they can squeeze themselves into that category..

I guess places whose only business is booze (read 'not food') n that do not allow entry to people below 18 are allowed an exemption until 2009. Thats the official version but there are so many loop holes in the law... so if the management wishes, they can squeeze themselves into that category..
    Oh N also if the place is open air..(well the way they define open air)

Hope to drop in for the happy hour for a while if possible...

Last edited by PSMaverick; 05-01-2007 at 04:15 PM.