Is booze really that expensive in HK?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Well yes, but since your duty free allowance coming into HK is a whopping one bottle, that information doesn't help much.
    ...but that's for tourists on a visitor visa. To my knowledge, HK ID card holders are not allowed to bring in any duty-free liquor. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by texasaxel:
    Am I wrong?
    Yes. http://www.customs.gov.hk/eng/advice....html#dutyfree

Smile Us

I've found that compared to US cites it's a bit more expensive in the bars/restaurants here, but way less expensive than the US in the stores. Some of my friends and I have started joking that we should drink before going out at the 711. Ha Ha!

Kris

... those holding HK ID card cannot bring in liquor duty-free, only wine!

Quote Originally Posted by Kris18:
    Some of my friends and I have started joking that we should drink before going out at the 711. Ha Ha!
    Kris
    A couple of years ago I hung out with some people, who actually did that. After a while, I got a bit tired of sitting outside 7-11 and drinking cheap beer ... i don't mind paying the extra to drink in a nice place. Happy hour price for a pint of Guinness at my usual pub is $39 +10%, which goes up to $55 +10% afterwards. I've made it a habit to get there early and order a spare one at 'last call for happy hour'. On a weekday night I also treat last call as a sign to go home. This helps keep expenses down and is better than sitting on the steps outside 7-11.
    Last edited by texasaxel; 30-01-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Ah OK - sorry - I think of "liquour" as meaning "anything alcoholic" and I really only drink wine & beer, so I never noticed the difference between the two categories.

Think that HKG is basically more expensive than many parts of Asia but their prices still cheaper than other parts of EU.

But the wine is very expensive here.. Crap quality for premium prices....especially the expensive bars on top of the IFC building...

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaM:

But the wine is very expensive here.. Crap quality for premium prices....especially the expensive bars on top of the IFC building...
    thats the thing, you're paying for the view and ambience etc
    Ah yes that reminds me last year when one of those bars, Charged us $75 for a bottle of mineral water.

Shocking!

Bloody hell. Never knew that!

Oh its sad what about going to park and shop and stock up on the beer and liqour before heading out since u and yr friends wanna cut some costs...

And if u really wanna get kicked in b4 hanging out try having the following in an hour.

1- vODKA lime ( or any other mixes)
    2- Graveyard ( Tequilla with Stout)
    3- Tequilla Shots ( 2 shoots)
    4- Beer( Duverl or something similar to 8 %)
    5- Barcadi 151 with coke or with soda w coke

wait 10 mins and than wear your shoes and head for the door.

I bet you will feel the kick when u step into any club and than go for the cheapest beer or house Gin ....lol

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast