Like Tree3Likes

Bike rental in Lamma Island?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bike rental in Lamma Island?

Not sure if this question should be under this section but I know there are bike rentals in Cheung Chau, would there be any in Lamma Island? I'm not aware of bike rentals on Lamma Island but would anyone know? Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bechampions:
    Not sure if this question should be under this section but I know there are bike rentals in Cheung Chau, would there be any in Lamma Island? I'm not aware of bike rentals on Lamma Island but would anyone know? Many thanks
    Hi

Yes there is! Assuming you're getting the ferry to Yung Shue Wan, if you walk along the main road for about five minutes until you get to a crossroads, then turn left towards Hung Shing Yeh beach and walk another five minutes, there is a bike rental shop there (right next to where we live incidentally!). His English is not fantastic but he is helpful. I do not know how much he charges but wouldn't imagine it to be too much.

Hope this helps!

I used the bike rental shop mentioned above today. It was easy to find and cheap (15HKD per hour plus 300HKD deposit which was returned to me) but the bikes are pretty poor. I really wanted to do some of the mountain bike trails on the island but they had nothing suitable. The bike they gave me was just about usable for taking an easy pace around the concrete paths so if that's what you're looking for then go for it, but if you need a decent bike then I'd suggest trying to rent one on the mainland and taking it over.

Mountain bike trails on Lamma Island? Where are they then?

There is a popular one called the snake trail. It starts at the windmill and heads to Sok Wu Wan. I tried it and nearly killed myself. Much better as a hike.

Isn't there an annual mountain biking race on Lamma too?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Mountain bike trails on Lamma Island? Where are they then?
    Lamma Island

Snake trail isn't particlularly hard by HK standards, but as previously none of the island rental bikes would be up for any of the Lamma trails. You really need your own bike.
    Last edited by jgl; 04-06-2011 at 08:33 AM.
    PDLM likes this.

Thanks for that. How busy is the Snake Trail during the week? I'd like to explore it on foot (possibly with a group of hikers) but wouldn't want to piss off bikers if it's "their" trail.

Last edited by PDLM; 04-06-2011 at 11:09 AM.

There are few mountain bikers active on the Lamma trails during the week. Even on weekends it's pretty lightly trafficked, and I have never met a mountain biker in HK who I'd consider 'territorial' anyway. Even if there are riders, visibility is good on Snake Trail so you should be able to see each other coming from a good distance.

Snake Trail is a pleasant enough walk. I wouldn't suggest the other biking trails though as they are a bit steep (except for the quarry trail, which is just really dull).

Last edited by jgl; 07-06-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Does anyone have any further information about the artificial lake? I saw from the webpage that its listed as mozzie free - but is it clean? If its cleaner than the regular beaches, we will definitely head there on our next trip to Lamma. Never explored that part of Lamma before.

HC

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    There are few mountain bikers active on the Lamma trails during the week. Even on weekends it's pretty lightly trafficked, and I have never met a mountain biker in HK who I'd consider 'territorial' anyway. Even if there are riders, visibility is good on Snake Trail so you should be able to see each other coming from a good distance.

Snake Trail is a pleasant enough walk. I wouldn't suggest the other biking trails though as they are a bit steep (except for the quarry trail, which is just really dull).
    Thanks for that lot. I don't get the last bit though - many of my hikes go up or down stuff which is far too steep to ride on a bike (for example, this week, High Junk Peak, Pyramid Hill and Lantau Peak).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast