Like Tree1Likes

Band rehearsal space in HK?

Closed Thread

Band rehearsal space in HK?

Considering a move to HK shortly...one thing I will really need when/if I arrive is to get a band together to play a bit of music! But the question is: are there many rehearsal spaces available? Especially permanent rehearsal spaces. If so, any ideas roughly what it would cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Simes:
    Considering a move to HK shortly...one thing I will really need when/if I arrive is to get a band together to play a bit of music! But the question is: are there many rehearsal spaces available? Especially permanent rehearsal spaces. If so, any ideas roughly what it would cost?
    There's tons of band rooms for you to rent... prices vary depending on location and the quality of the rehearsal rooms..

hk island, small size gig room, HK$200-250 per hr ( nearest one is apparently in wan chai)
    kowloon HK$100 HK$150

then there are more upmarket ones which are HK$400/500 per hour, depends what your needs are and how rich your band mates are hahahaa

You could probably rent a permanent rehearsal space (about 300 sq ft) in one of the factory areas for around $3000/month, but you'd have to renovate it yourself.

its no longer that cheap to rent, not sure you've been following the Government allows those factory buildings to go up market. Space that used to be HK$3000 are around 6K now (exclusive)

Oh, maybe it's more expensive now... but my friends' bandrooms in Kwun Tong and Fo Tan are still around $3000/month. But as you said I'm sure the prices will skyrocket once they decide to redevelop.

Not sure exactly what a band room is, but I have visited a number of people who live in high rise apartment complexes with club houses and stuff, and they all seem to have karaoke rooms and sometimes larger "function" rooms for rent by residents at pretty low rates. Might be an option if commercial facilities are becoming scarce? Just something to think about when choosing where to live perhaps?