Like Tree1Likes

R&B/Hip Hop

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

R&B/Hip Hop

R&B/Hip Hop Dancing Venue in HK , any suggestions most appreciated

i've been looking all over for good hip hop places...
    most clubs just play mainstream.
    but if u find a place let me know.

I have just arrived over a week ago and will be looking for some places myself. Although I was here a few years ago and went to Dragon I when Run DMC were DJ'ing and NO-ONE knew who they were apart from me!!!

Also, as I am new to town, if anyone wants to join me in my venue hunting exploits, company would be much appreciated.

I can tell you right now that you will not find this in HK, there is next to no real hip-hop in HK. The best you can do is go to Insenses/Bassment on a Friday or Saturday night when the Swagga/Get-up guys are playing and you might get some hip-hop (but they generally play more soul and funk even though they are big hip-hop heads) or there are DJs like Kid Fresh, Reflex or Yao who sometimes play old school hip-hop in their sets. No dedicated hip-hop nights or DJs in HK that I know of.

In Mongkok tomorrow night (Friday) some DJs are playing on the street near the cinema, supposedly hip-hop DJs but I am skeptical.

I would suggest going to The Get-Up at Insenses tomorrow and have a chat to Kenny (little Chinese guy with glasses and a shaved head) and ask what is going on, maybe also add Headz on Facebook (local hip-hop store/promoter) as they usually link events that are on in HK.

Pi at the bottom of Wyndham Street has "Hands Up Saturdays" supposedly an R&B and hip hop night. I've never heard any hip hop played in there though and have tried it 3-4 times now,..it does occasionally jump off to electro/big beat and the views up there are cool so not all bad.

The only "real" hip hop I've seen anywhere nearby was at Cubic in Macau.

Just sticking to the dubstep/ragga/d&b scene for the moment to avoid the endless chart crap in most bars/clubs.

Anyone want to start promoting a hip-hop night then, who's got stacks of wax? ;D

So glad I found this post. I just landed here in HK a week ago and have been looking for some good music. LKF just isn't doing it for me! The Get-Up sounds like they play similar stuff to what I use to play at my event in San Francisco!

Anyway, I'm up to go to any of these events with anyone. I am new here and don't really have any friends. Hit me up if anyone is down.

Ok, I've been to Tazmania Ballroom quite a few times now and Derek, the resident DJ will always play an RnB hip hop set before he gets onto the House, and then another hip hop set afterwards. It's more 90s RnB and hip hop and mainstream stuff (Biggie, Tupac, Dre, Puffy etc) but hey, that's what I grew up with so I love it! It's getting to be my regular hangout!

Last edited by anannya; 26-05-2011 at 10:49 AM.

What nights does this go on? I'm still new to this whole place and am pretty much tired of the general LKF scene already haha. Let me know if you ever want company. I also grew up on Pac, and Biggie along with all the good ole 90's hiphop ie. ATCQ, De La Soul, Pharcyde...etc etc haha.

I'd love to hear some De La and Pharcyde in HK!

Dunno how you feel about dubstep droobeedoo, but you've got Sessions @ Insenses on Lyndhurst Terrace tonight, first DJ on is Kiyo (DJs The Get Up as well) who might spin some Hip hop, then it'll get dubby after that. Also, you have Fata on at Otto Lounge tomorrow (Friday) in LKF which is a big wobbley mess of dubstep and definitely not a standard LKF night out

But then, that's dependent on your dubstep opinions, as it's generally a love/hate reaction I spose

I've mainly been there Saturday nights, but I think he said he plays it Friday nights too. I might be going either tomorrow or Saturday night if you're interested, drop me a PM.

BTW, if you noticed, I'm so old I'm still calling him Puffy instead of Diddy!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast