Like Tree16Likes

Lesbian Scene - Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Lesbian Scene - Hong Kong

Hi all out there,

I am new to Hong Kong and haven't had much luck tracking down a les scene as a lot of places seem to be closed/moved.

Does anyone have any tips?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I have some pointers; however, last time I posted them they were deleted, hence I am leery...

Temptation 21 is a lesbian bar and a place to start: 21/F., The Lamma Tower, 12-12A Hau Fook Street, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong

It sounds as if it's the only one town! Thanks for that, will check it out.

Strange for such a cosmo city to have so few les bars...

Quote Originally Posted by aisling:
    It sounds as if it's the only one town! Thanks for that, will check it out.

Strange for such a cosmo city to have so few les bars...
    There are certainly more, but there have been numerous reports recently that Police keeps bullying openly gay-friendly venues, so I imagine they keep a low profile. I thought I remembered there was a LGBT in HK on meetup but can't find it right now - oddly enough, the first google result is our hiking meetup....?
    Anyways, if you ask around at the club Claire mentioned, you'll certainly get enough pointers.
    Last edited by er2; 24-05-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

aisling, although Hong Kong may be a cosmopolitan city, it is back by a very conservative attitude and it is still very difficult for people to be openly homosexual in Hong Kong (when I arrived it was actually illegal). Example: the British government didn't even both to ask the Hong Kong government whether the consulate could conduct same-sex civil unions - in Japan it knew it could and did. And, as er2 mentions, the police are not particularly friendly to gay venues, unless there is a "special" relationship going on.

I have both local friends, and expat ones, in Hong Kong who are gay and I see the ongoing battles for acceptance. However these things take time so please don't expect Hong Kong to be like San Francisco just yet.

I don't know ANY openly gay men or women in HK - I know a few I think are gay but are not open about it - whereas in UK, Aus or NZ there would always be a sprinkling around. It's really not at all obvious here. Silly really.

I'm having the same problem locating lesbian hangouts in Hong Kong, most likely because it is such a taboo subject. I was happy to see that amnesty are active in trying to combat that. It's a shame that it's so difficult to find other people who are open with their sexualities.

In the village I live in there are two openly gay lesbian couples and a couple of obviously gay guys. Near where I work in On ting there is an openly lesbian couple who are completely open. They are the ultimate stereotype where one wears a suit and the other is very feminine. I wonder if it's because gay people here prefer to behave like everybody else rather than group together like sheep.

I'm going to post something controversial here so apologies if some are offended. I'm coming from one of the the most cosmopolitan cities in the west. I also have a gay and VERY successful friend in HK. However have you ever considered that one of the attractions for people coming to HK is it's crime and social ettiquettes in comparison to the west ?

Coming to a bar near you VERY soon

I'm the only gay in the village.

But seriously, there are gays and lesbians in HK. I know a few openly gay guys here and they have quite a good group.

However, HK is without a doubt much less progressive than other places that expats are from like Europe and North America.

Last edited by pin; 24-05-2011 at 11:46 PM.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast