Yo Bassheads!... Dropping By HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yo Bassheads!... Dropping By HK

Hey, I 'm posting in here because inside of this forum people seemed more likeminded people who like partying and stuff. Is Hong Kong quite conservative? Is the expat community quite conservative? I'm a girl and I have lots of tattoo and piercing and dreads. Am I gonna get a lot of hassle? Would you get let into bars and clubs? I'm a musician and dance teacher but my partner got offered a job here for a bit so we thinking about it. Is HK all just like bankers and corporate stuff or is it crazy but chill? How easy is it to hook up with some likeminded people for going out?

depends what kind of bar/club you like...

Just depends on which circles and places you hangout as to whether you will fit in I guess. Have met a few girls with a lot of tatts and dreads here. If you are in to underground clubbing then you will fit in perfectly fine, in fact there is a girl I see at dnb / dubstep / reggae events all the time that has a lot of tatts, piercings and dreads.

I doubt people would ever hassle you in HK though. Maybe some local girls will whisper behind your back but, meh, not like you would care anyway.

I also saw you said in the other thread that you are a dj. What do you mix?

Play a lot of UK garage /funky/global bass styles although tbh don't get to play out much now because I have a couple of kids.

So do more production and sound design these days. It's also proving to be a bit of a pain in the butt working out what bits of kit I want and can afford to ship over. I have visions of all my studio and my family stuck in a 1 room gaff.

I'll definitely be looking to checking out the underground parties when I come though. Would be good to hook up with people though. I saw the other post about a dancehall/bashment night and that looked more my cuppa tea. I was starting to get worried it was all LKF fancy bars. Thanks for the info

There is an underground scene, it is small but there are events on most weeks for bass stuff (mostly dubstep and reggae but also some dnb, every now and then funky, dancehall, future bass type stuff).

If you are setting up a studio you also need to think about sound-proofing whichever room you are going to be doing it in (depending where in Sha Tin you are living), the locals do not take kindly to any kind of noise that isn't normal every day noise, and if you record any vocals you probably want to shield yourself from the traffic outside.

As far as equipment goes, you can get most stuff here (cabling, amps, speakers, dj gear, keyboards, beat machines, sound proofing). If you have very specific gear though, like synths, keyboards, machines that are not so common and don't want to part with then you might want to ship those.

Not to be a party pooper, but you mentioned the word "partner" rather than "husband" had a job here. You'll need to be actually married to get a visa ...... just checking ......

The gear you would find here is going to be more expensive, even though there is no sales tax, VAT, or import duty. I just order stuff online from sweetwater.

No.. definitely married last time I checked so no problem with the visa. As for the lil studio well I'm not about to be an obnoxious t**t..and belt out the sounds...had plenty of neighbours like that myself in the past :/ Anyone know if the Auralex stuff is available in HK? Are you guys into producing/dj'ing too?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast