Like Tree4Likes

Public drinking

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Public drinking

Is it actually legal to drink in HK in the public? Like say on the street or at a park. I see this on TV all the time, but I really haven't seen this much in person to be honest.

On the basis that anything that isn't forbidden is allowed then yes, I believe so.

Office Hong Kong side but live on the dark side.

It is legal yes. It struck me as odd when I got here too as it's illegal back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenon:
    It is legal yes. It struck me as odd when I got here too as it's illegal back home.
    It would be odd if it actually was illegal here.
    alesandro77 likes this.

I sometimes like to have an ice-cold beer on the beach here, or in the park on a hot day if in town.
    Used to be strange in Japan as drinking alcohol was forbidden in parks yet at cherry-blossom viewing time everyone would just get trashed under the trees....!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenon:
    It is insane that in Canada you can't have a beer at the park (legally) nor drink in the streets there as that culture can't handle it - too many fights. Here even the expats seem to be cooler when drinking vs back home.

I coached a senior mens' soccer team in Vancouver and the beer cooler is a source of team funds. Every year the league and parks board make an issue of it and it is quite sad really. We'd sell to fans and friends and players after the game. Very hard to do now as they really patrol for this even though there are no problems.

What I am not sure about is in China and drinking in the streets of Shenzhen for example. Is that legal?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

If it was illegal here, Club 7-11's profits would be down.

But why is it illegal elsewhere? Does it frighten the horses or something?

Down in Melbourne 8 years ago, I thought the bouncer was pulling a fast one when he said I couldn't take my VB outside with me (had to take a call).

Then late one night, I saw an indigenous chap walking along, holding a bottle wrapped in newspaper that he took swigs out of, and I remember thinking "Sure, that won't attract attention to your pepsi."

I often drink a beer on the bus ride home, and I've seen lots of local guys doing the same.

I haven't seen anyone drink on the bus or mtr yet, but the other day I did see a sweaty guy with two buds on the star ferry at 11am. He looked like he was suffering and could of probably used a six pack ice cold.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast