david sylvian HK tour

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

david sylvian HK tour

David sylvian will head to HK in October. it is really a busy year for the music lovers.

http://www.davidsylvian.com/

27th Oct: Hong Kong, HITEC Hall B

Can't say I've heard much if anything from him in as many years as Tears for Fears have been offline.

I've heard of him, but I must admit I haven't heard any of his music....any good? I might consider going to see him.

Was very popular as the writer and front man to a group called Japan in the 80s. Also wrote the score to "Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence" that starred amongst others David Bowie.

Hmmm, I thought David Sylvian usually collaborated with Ryuichi Sakamoto, the "Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence " sound track, was such a case with their song " Forbidden Colours ". Ryuichi Sakamoto even uses David Sylvians vocals on his latest CD "world citizen", as he has done many times for over 2 decades .

Any fans of Ryuichi Sakamoto, Yello Magic etc, will be familar most with the Sylvian / Sakamoto collaboration.

Below are 2 of their latest songs written by, musically performed live by Ryuichi Sakamoto, vocals by David Sylvian...

YouTube - Ryuichi Sakamoto - World Citizen (I Won't Be Dissapointed)

Another off the same album, but not performed live.

Musically Sylvian / Sakamoto are an acquired taste, they wont appeal to the pop music loving mainstream, they are a lot more ambient, moody, atmospheric and semi electronica via Ryuichi's electronic musical mastery.

I am curious to know, if David Sylvian will perform with Ryuichi Sakamoto in HK, or is it with another band as a solo performance ?

Either way, for those who really love this style of musical genius, you will really enjoy something that is unique and quiet different.

I am a big fan of Ryuichi Sakamoto's, if David Sylvian is touring without RS, I am not sure if it would be as good a performance as the live performance I posted above or not.

They usually top bill Ryuichi as the main act, accompanied by David Sylvian. It will be interesting to see how David doe'ss on his own, I can't say I am a big fan of his solo works, The Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence sound track " Forbidden Colours " gets a bit tired, the only song that Sylvian is really famed for.

Last edited by Skyhook; 19-07-2007 at 07:50 AM.

concert

To: skyhook

Did you see the concert by alva noto + RS in Hong Kong in this year? As I heard the show was brilliant and I missed. By the way, I DS's song is really touching. I guess this show is his solo and won't crossover with other artists.

This one I'm very excited to go to. Saw him play at Royal Albert Hall in 1995 I think it was. But solo is so much better. He formed a collaboration called Nine Horses recently but I guess that has ended. I really hope it is a greatest hits tour - his album Secrets of the Beehive is still one of my all time favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    Can't say I've heard much if anything from him in as many years as Tears for Fears have been offline.
    Is there a DS <-> TfF link? I wasn't aware they collaborated...

There is no link it was an a comparative expression.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast