Chicago transplant seeking "neighborhood" type pub

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

sounds perfect... lets plan it now!

Lived over that way, in fact lived right next door, and it is a little bit out of the way. However, I do know of a couple of bars in TST that may sort of fit the bill. Won't give up my favourite, but I've been going there on and off for three years and they know exactly who I am. There's a place in Peking Rd, not 100% sure of what it's called, but they have beer and sports and all that. You could also try Knutsford Terrace (just off Nathan Rd by the Miramar Hotel). Remember you're not in Chicago anymore and life does take a bit of adjusting, but enjoy it as you've only got one chance at this.

Forgot to mention Dan Ryan's at either Pacific Place or Ocean Terminal upstairs on the 3rd floor after you get off the ferry. Probably other locations as well.

Agreed. Thanks for the info.....

I was told Dan Ryan's is about as close to a Chicago sports bar as ou can find in HK as well. Going to check it out one of these days and i'll let you know. I'm from Chicago too for those of you that don't know. Lived in Crystal Lake my entire life. Like an hour from the city but.. close enough.

I don't know about cheap, but there's a cool little pub in Stanley I regularly visit. Know most of the regulars and free shots are pretty common.

Perhaps we ought to have Chicago night out at Dan Ryan's. Seems fitting.

By the way Chicago friends, a buddy of mine works in the front office for Lou Malnati's pizza back home. He says that even though they're not set up to send pizzas on an international basis, he can probably make it happen for a special occasion - such as when the Bears return to the Super Bowl this year.

Does anyone have some idea whether, being a food item, it would even get through customs? Would it even be worth trying?

Quote Originally Posted by srvblooze:
    Perhaps we ought to have Chicago night out at Dan Ryan's. Seems fitting.

By the way Chicago friends, a buddy of mine works in the front office for Lou Malnati's pizza back home. He says that even though they're not set up to send pizzas on an international basis, he can probably make it happen for a special occasion - such as when the Bears return to the Super Bowl this year.

Does anyone have some idea whether, being a food item, it would even get through customs? Would it even be worth trying?
    Food does get imported into Hong Kong (i.e. Frozen Pizzas) so probably through the right channels it could be done. May be more trouble than it's worth though.

BTW: Have you actually been to Dan Ryan's here yet? My opinion on it to follow.......

BTW: Have you actually been to Dan Ryan's here yet? My opinion on it to follow.......[/QUOTE]

Nope. From the website it seems to be a rather sterile type of place. Like Ruby Tuesday's with pictures of Chicago. But I imagine I'll make my way there one of these days

You could not pay me money to walk into Dan Ryans -- overpriced and sterile.