Like Tree2Likes

BBC iPlayer

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

thought i'd bring this thread back to life...

with the football league being shown on bbc this season, i'm keen to find a way to watch the iplayer out here.

all this talk about proxies means nothing to me.

can someone explain - in very basic language - how i can go about this?

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by leedseagle:
    thought i'd bring this thread back to life...

with the football league being shown on bbc this season, i'm keen to find a way to watch the iplayer out here.

all this talk about proxies means nothing to me.

can someone explain - in very basic language - how i can go about this?

cheers!
    its a pain, trust me, i've tried many things.

basically the way is you get a vpn (virtual private network) service. you "dial" into that service, that way you are on a private network over your internet connection, hence its "virtual".

that vpn has a uk ip address, i.e. the address that the beeb sees you coming from is the uk, tricking the beeb that you are based in the uk. sounds great and all.

however, because you are connected from hk to uk, back to hk then back to uk, speeds are an issue. i've tried it, but i just can't get a decent enough speed.

suggest you look at uk nova and torrenting the footie matches, or sign up to a cable provider here which shows them.

I find that a simple ssh tunnel to a UK co-lo box allows the basic quality iplayer. But nost thing I still get from UK Nova, as it's just easier, and I can keep them.

the iplayer needs to see that you are viewing from the UK. it does this by looking at your address.

by using a proxy you enter the iplayer from a UK address and it gives you access.

if you want live streaming of sports you are best served by using justin.tv

Last edited by Boris; 06-08-2009 at 01:52 PM.

how do i get a proxy? is a proxy even a physical thing?

does it require subscriptions etc?

reckon i'll end up giving up and signing up for palace world for the highlights instead

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Be glad for small mercies
    I haven't registered yet can listen to most programmes
    current favorites
    Biggles Flies North read by Michael Palin
    BBC night at the proms.
    Can't watch tv but a lot of their stuff does end up on youtube or somesuch eventually
    Any watching The Devil's Whore? [by Channel 4]

Right, I've just signed up to UKNova. Is it so simple as selecting a show and downloading it, and I can watch it?

Is it legal?

Right, I've just signed up to UKNova. Is it so simple as selecting a show and downloading it, and I can watch it?

Is it legal?
    I trust you already have a bittorrent client, if so it's easy. You have to maintain a ratio on UK nova (ie upload as much as you download).

No, it's not legal. But neither is using iPlayer via a proxy, or watching Phillipines satellite TV.

Quote Originally Posted by octarine:
    I trust you already have a bittorrent client, if so it's easy. You have to maintain a ratio on UK nova (ie upload as much as you download).

No, it's not legal. But neither is using iPlayer via a proxy, or watching Phillipines satellite TV.
    i have no idea what a bittorent client is so assume i don't have one!

and i won't be uploading anything since i have no clue how to.

i think i'll call it a day!

i have no idea what a bittorent client is so assume i don't have one!

and i won't be uploading anything since i have no clue how to.

i think i'll call it a day!
    It's not so hard, just download this: http://www.utorrent.com/

By upload I mean it's a peer-to-peer network, so you download the programmes from other UK Nova users, and in turn they download from you. You don't have to add new stuff. All you need to do is to leave your torrent client open until the ratio of the stuff you downloaded is above 1.00 (it's easy to see in the torrent client)
    Last edited by octarine; 06-08-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: including URL fail