Like Tree2Likes

BBC iPlayer

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

I bought some software called hide my IP and now I have access to BBC, ITV,Channel4 and Channel 5 (not that I watch it!) it costs about £70 for the premium package but then you can choose different IPs for different countries.

oh ok, thanks octarine...

am i leaving my computer open to someone else while that's happening though?

Last edited by leedseagle; 06-08-2009 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by octarine:
    I trust you already have a bittorrent client, if so it's easy. You have to maintain a ratio on UK nova (ie upload as much as you download).

No, it's not legal. But neither is using iPlayer via a proxy, or watching Phillipines satellite TV.

Wrong on both counts. There is no quota on UKNova. I use it all the time.

Yes it is legal. Under EEC law its something to do with not being available on DVD or the like. UKNova site rules explain Site rules - Help - UKNova

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:

Yes it is legal. Under EEC law its something to do with not being available on DVD or the like. UKNova site rules explain Site rules - Help - UKNova
    Well I wouldn't say its legal or not legal. It is a very very grey area and you will find 50% of legal professionals say its legal and 50% who say it isn't, there are arguments for both sides.

I have to say though UK Nova does have a strict policy that when something is available on DVD they won't host a torrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    I beg to differ:
    (from the UK nova FAQ, feel free to check when you don't believe me)
    How do I avoid getting banned?

Never hit & run on UKNova torrents regardless of your score. Don't mistake 'no waiting time' torrents for freeleech - all members are expected to seed back at least as much as downloaded - there are no freeleech torrents here! Even if you find seeding difficult you must try to maintain your seeding and keep up an acceptable score as staff consider all accounts on an individual basis and if you're caught hit & running or failing to even try to seed back your fair share for the amount you downloaded then you may be warned and/or your access to torrents may be removed. If your score is below 100 then you should seed more (longer) or download less - it's as simple as that!

They call it score, not ratio, but it's broadly the same thing.

Hong Kong is a part of the EEC now?

You can beg to differ all you want but your wrong.
    There IS another UK torrent site ( the name escapes me ) that WILL CUT YOU OFF, if you do not maintain a seeding ratio.

UKNova DOES NOT do that.
    You use the word " expected " which is woolly in the extreme and has no practical meaning.

As someone who has used it for the last 4 years - at no time - have I ever come anywhere near 50/50 and restrict my total upload to 10 kb/s to maximise BitTorrent performance. I have never been denied service. The other one however I used for 2 weeks before being denied. Ces't La Vie - as between UKNova, Mininova, Justin.TV and Eztv - I can find anything I need.

On the legality issue. The site IS legal, whether we are in the EEC or not. Its been proven and the UKNova site is very careful about what it does. Copyright holders will not be chasing down down loaders from that site, which is the important thing to understand. HK laws do not persecute downloaders ( whatever the law says on paper ) they have gone after volume reseeders as they are much easier to ID.

You can try and pretend your knowledgeable all you want, but I am a world renowned couch potato master.

Sometimes VPN is not very reliable. Investing on a slingbox is a better option/.

Quote Originally Posted by annleee:
    Found this old post online and would like to share what we found after years. If you guys be HK most of the time, you can get a Free Trial account on UKTVHK.com and see if it works well for you. It is brilliant for me and my wife to watch BBC iPlayer and ITVplayer. I think they have high-speed server claiming to have 1G bandwidth and this probably make them more reliable than others. After these years, vpn services are now more acceptable. it's just 58/month and i think it's a good deal ! happy mid-autumn !
    You posted this on some other expat message boards too, so would you be connected to the company by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    You posted this on some other expat message boards too, so would you be connected to the company by any chance?
    Who'da thunk it?

You can use Tunlr.net, which provides you with a DNS Server and then allows you to watch from sites like BBC iPlayer, 4oD and even Hulu in US!

Supported Services for UK and US: http://tunlr.net/faq/supported-services-players/

PS:

It's free and speedy as well

Last edited by senakunes; 24-11-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4