Like Tree4Likes

Kee club this Friday with Greg Wilson

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I hadn't heard of Rahaan before, but his material on soundcloud sounds pretty decent. I might have to drop in...

XXX was fun, but the space needs to be better thought out. They had two large couches right in the center of the floor, which everyone ended up pushing aside near the end of the night, but it was quite awkward for most of the night. The sound system wasn't bad, but it was really nothing in comparison to what Kee club had to offer. I did like the BYOB aspect; it cut the cost of the night in half!

Did you arrive early to XXX? Sometimes they run a movie night before the club event so the couches could be in the middle of the floor at the start of they ran out of time.

Personally I am a bit tired of the lack of bar. I hate having to carry my bag with some booze in it every time. But Enso basically pays for the place out of his own pocket so can't really expect more than a place for promoters to put on shows and not get shut down by the police.

Methosb- That makes sense. Do you know the owner/promoter? I'd like to speak with him. There's a small list of changes which could make the venue a much nicer place to visit. As for the drinks, I usually just drink beer anyway, so it wasn't such an issue to hit the 711 down the street and pick up a case. I just have to make sure I buy enough, so I don't have to head back a second time!

Any other venues/ events you like in HK?

His DJ name is DJ Enso. Real name is Cassady Winston. Hangs with DJ Yao. Can find him on various places on the net. I know him a bit, don't hang out with him tho.

I mostly only go to dnb and dubstep things these days. There are a few crews putting on those events. The most known and active one is Heavy HongKong.

They used to put on events at Backstage a lot but not much anymore since XXX opened, only really when XXX is already booked.

Have been to good events at Otto Lounge (but they shut down now).

Been to good events at Hidden Agenda which is mostly a rock venue, but they just moved to a new location and the sound sucks. The reverb is ridiculous, adding 3 extra subwoofers for an electronic event won't make it better. Hoping they can fix it. I was told by someone that the new location has to close at 1am as well which rules out electronic events.

Yumla is well known for underground house and technology, but they are closed at the moment while they find somewhere else to set up. They have a bad reputation with a lot of the local djs so none of my friends will go there anyway.

Most of the other underground events are at Insenses (Basement). I don't really like that place tho.

For the commercial clubs, the only ones that play decent music are Volar, Fly and Kee Club (if Mr Sit and friends are playing). Volar = getting pushed in the back all night long. Drinks are stupid expensive at all the commercial places. Kid Fresh runs nights at Fly sometimes and is one of the best DJs in HK if you can catch him on the right night.

So yeah, the underground scene isn't really in good shape. XXX and Insenses are really the only places. But I just go to wherever the event is which is usually XXX for the Heavy HongKong events and Hidden Agenda for rock / metal / hardcore etc. But Fai from Heavy has been known to experiment; has put on events at a war games place in the bush and under a bridge near the Kwun Tong ferry to name a couple. Police always interfere of course.

benbecker likes this.

For promoters there are.

Bass:
    Heavy KongKong
    Sessions
    Magnetic Soul

Soul and Funk (and maybe a little hip hpp) :
    Swagga
    Lufuki Stink

House:
    Destroyed HK

Random:
    XXX (Enso) events

There are others but I forgot there names. There are other house ones and a dancehall / ragga one which they sometimes hold at Pier 7.

benbecker likes this.

Thanks! That clears up a lot!

My favourite dj still in HK is probably Yao IF he plays a serious set and IF he is sober while doing so lol.

Quote Originally Posted by benbecker:
    I hadn't heard of Rahaan before, but his material on soundcloud sounds pretty decent. I might have to drop in...

XXX was fun, but the space needs to be better thought out. They had two large couches right in the center of the floor, which everyone ended up pushing aside near the end of the night, but it was quite awkward for most of the night. The sound system wasn't bad, but it was really nothing in comparison to what Kee club had to offer. I did like the BYOB aspect; it cut the cost of the night in half!
    Ben - you should, he's on his way to Japan and has already sold out there, he's a proper DJ, if you like Greg Wilson, then you're going to love Rahaan.

Here's a taster, proper original Chicago DJ

http://youtu.be/w9CVglCTDnU