I can't be that stupid

Closed Thread

I can't be that stupid

Now TV must be one of the worst corporate communicators ever. Their web site is completely unintelligable and I am yet to meet any of their sales staff that can explain exactly how their offers work - to an english person anyway.

The forms are so badly laid out ... yikes.

Anyway, can somebody explain to me what the best package is. I'm not that into football, but want all the quality stuff.

What is the package most people choose?

For all practical purposes it's custom pricing. Just put aside an hour or so to have the discussion with them about all the possible options. Look at the channel list and decide what are your "must haves", your "nice to haves" and your "I would never watch thats".

Then just go through a series of "what if I had this combination" discussions with them until you can work out what works best for you. The agents have dozens of plans and special offers to choose from so it isn't easy for them either.

Bear in mind that the commitment term you are prepared to take can make a difference too.

Personally, as a guide on price, I recently signed up to this combination for a total price of $310/month on an 18 month commitment:

6Mbit/s broadband
    All the "free" channels
    All the HBO & Cinemax channels
    All the Discovery channels
    Star Movies
    Star World
    BBC World
    BBC Entertainment
    CNBC

Before you sign on with them, make sure that your building has the enough 'ports or quotas'. If not, you might be stuck in a situation that you can't have cable or broadband until someone moves or out cancels their service. That happened to us.

Nope

No I've already signed for one of their deals - buy five get five free. But now it seems, that by just paying a little extra, you can actually get all the channels.

I'm particularly interested to get TV5 Asia Monde as it seems they will be broadcasting all the rest of the RWC games.

I like the Discovery package, but then again I'm a Nat Geo and Discovery Channel documentary geek.

How about the adult channel package...you can see lots and lots of...pixelation!

Quote Originally Posted by kiffguy:
    I'm particularly interested to get TV5 Asia Monde as it seems they will be broadcasting all the rest of the RWC games.
    But you'd have to commit to 18 months, the commentary would be in French (may or may not be a problem for you). Surely it's cheaper just to buy a few beers to watch those 4 games in a pub somewhere?

And, by the way, I wouldn't be sure that TV5 is showing it here:
    Retrouvez les matchs de la Coupe du Monde de Rugby 2007 sur les antennes de TV5MONDE. Vous pourrez suivre en direct les matchs de l'Equipe de France du premier tour et l'ensemble de la phase finale de la compétition sur les signaux suivants : TV5 Afrique, TV5 Amérique latine, TV5 Europe (hors Espagne et jusqu'aux 1/4 de finale pour l'Italie) et TV5 Orient.
    We are under TV5 Asie.
    http://www.tv5.fr/TV5Site/rugby/antenne.php
    Last edited by PDLM; 12-10-2007 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    But you'd have to commit to 18 months, the commentary would be in French (may or may not be a problem for you). Surely it's cheaper just to buy a few beers to watch those 4 games in a pub somewhere?
    Maybe. Maybe not. It probably cost close on $200 per match if you count beers. Maybe another $100 taxi fare (it's early in the morning). So that's $300 per match for the next four matches - two semi's, plus play-off, plus final. That's $1200. TV5 on Now is $18/month and I think you can get it on 12-months.

And, by the way, I wouldn't be sure that TV5 is showing it here: We are under TV5 Asie.
    http://www.tv5.fr/TV5Site/rugby/antenne.php
    I think they might. I was alerted by this story in yesterday's SCMP:

http://www.scmp.com/portal/site/SCMP...ogy&s=Business

I stand corrected, although CableTV must be pretty pissed off at having paid for the exclusive rights and then finding that they are not as exclusive as they thought...

I can't see all the SCMP article, but will NOW have an English commentary on the alternative audio or would I have to practise my French?

I stand corrected, although CableTV must be pretty pissed off at having paid for the exclusive rights and then finding that they are not as exclusive as they thought...

I can't see all the SCMP article, but will NOW have an English commentary on the alternative audio or would I have to practise my French?
    I seem to remember (gee, SCMP must be one of the only newspapers in the world to still charge for online content) that iCable's spokesman said they couldn't see any breach of their exclusivity agreement.

And yes, monsieur, you will have to follow the match in French. But having listened to the iCable English commentary in pubs, I have to say you won't miss much.